Best way to raise PH and keep it there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use either water from your hose, mines 8.2, or used crushed coral or an argonite substrate.

What type stock do you have and what is your current ph/gh/kh? Is there a reason you need to raise it?

You can slowly increase gh/kh/ph by using crushed coral or something like Texas Holey rocks to release buffers into the water which will raise ph. I prefer CC as you can start with a small amount in your filter or in a media bag hung under the filter outflow and slowly add more CC until you reach the ph you want.

Use either water from your hose, mines 8.2, or used crushed coral or an argonite substrate.
My tap water is normally pretty hight at about an 8 but when I test my tank it's only about a 7. What could I be doing wrong?

What type stock do you have and what is your current ph/gh/kh? Is there a reason you need to raise it? You can slowly increase gh/kh/ph by using crushed coral or something like Texas Holey rocks to release buffers into the water which will raise ph. I prefer CC as you can start with a small amount in your filter or in a media bag hung under the filter outflow and slowly add more CC until you reach the ph you want.
I have African cichlids and my tank is only about a 7, so of corse I would want it higher.

Are you testing the water straight from the faucet? If so that is not it's true ph. In order to test tap water you need to put some in a cup and either aerate it or stir it off and on over 24 hours. This allows the water to gass off and once the 24 hours is up it will give you the true tap ph.

A ph of 7 is ideal in my book. Your really lucky to have a neutral ph which just about all fish can acclimate to.

Okay just had to African cichlids part show up so yes you want to use crushed coral and in this case using it as your substrate would be ideal.

Okay just had to African cichlids part show up so yes you want to use crushed coral and in this case using it as your substrate would be ideal.
Wow thanks a lot I had no idea about that tap water thing. I like the look of the crushed coral, do you know of anyplace I could get it cheap? And what would be the best way to do it? I've never changed substrates after having the tank set up.

Wow thanks a lot I had no idea about that tap water thing. I like the look of the crushed coral, do you know of anyplace I could get it cheap? And what would be the best way to do it? I've never changed substrates after having the tank set up.

Most fish stores that have African cichlids and or saltwater usually carry crushed coral. You should call around to the stores in your area to see who had it and at what price.

Changing out a substrate isn't too hard. You'll need a tupperwave tub that you can add tank water to and remove your fish, their heater, and filter to. Then empty the tank and old substrate. Rinse the CC good as if memory serves me (it's been years since I used it) it's pretty dusty. After you add your new substrate, re-add your decoration, then fill the tank. Honestly I'd allow the tank to settle until the next day. Then put the filter and heater back on the tank and let the temp get up before adding your fish back in.

Back
Top Bottom