Best way to raise PH / buffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have really soft water that's causing my PH to keep crashing after my cycle finished. I know crushed coral raises PH, but will it keep it up? Is this the way to go or should I look at chemical options?

I really don't think I'd worry yet. ammonia is alkaline, which is why pH isn't anything to worry about in a cycling tank. the fact that its lower now is probably due to the fact that you don't have ammonia in there. Have you done a 50% pwc? Have you set water (from the tap) out in a bucket or cup overnight, then tested pH?

mfdrookie516 said:
I really don't think I'd worry yet. ammonia is alkaline, which is why pH isn't anything to worry about in a cycling tank. the fact that its lower now is probably due to the fact that you don't have ammonia in there. Have you done a 50% pwc? Have you set water (from the tap) out in a bucket or cup overnight, then tested pH?

Haven't tested it after it sitting out, but I know it's ridiculously soft. Comes out of the tap at 7.6 PH and stayed there until the day my cycle finished. The day after my fishless cycle was done it crashed to off the scales low levels. I did a big pwc to get the PH back up. What I'm scared about is since the PH crash it's not as hungry to gobble up the ammonia as it was.

You can use crushed coral in your filter, just like carbon. This is one of the most effective ways to safely raise and maintain pH/KH.

If you are good about testing you can test and add baking soda as needed. Keep track of it and eventually you will just need to add a certain amount with water changes.

If you pH was 7.6 and then crashed something big is going on. 7.6 should be very stable and if something drove it down you need to fix that problem, not the symptom. What is the tap's KH?

Fishguy2727 said:
You can use crushed coral in your filter, just like carbon. This is one of the most effective ways to safely raise and maintain pH/KH.

If you are good about testing you can test and add baking soda as needed. Keep track of it and eventually you will just need to add a certain amount with water changes.

If you pH was 7.6 and then crashed something big is going on. 7.6 should be very stable and if something drove it down you need to fix that problem, not the symptom. What is the tap's KH?

I have no idea what the KH is. I've read on 1,000 different sites and threads today that the end of a cycle can cause a PH crash due to the bacteria producing some sort of byproduct, and so on. It happened to 3 members today who all happened to finish our cycles yesterday and live across the country so it's not a local water issue. The common thread is that we all have soft water.

Okay, so after much more research, it's not the pH I have to worry about raising because it comes out of the tap around 7.6. I need an effective way to buffer the water so it stays there. As I said, I have VERY soft water and I need to raise it to keep the pH stable. Does crushed coral buffer it or just raise it? I know if I go to the lfs they're just gonna try to sell me chems. What do I do?

How do you know you have soft water if you have no idea what the KH is? KH is carbonate hardness, the one that controls your pH. If the pH is 7.6 it is very unlikely that the KH is low at all.

To start get a KH test kit and see what it is in the tank and in the tap. Do a big water change to get the tank's pH back up to 7.6. Let it run and see what it does now that you aren't cycling. You will still need to add ammonia to keep it cycled.

LFS owner told me that crushed coral raises PH and helps keep it there. I bought some and mixed it in with pebbles in my new tank. I think you should try that. The less chemicals you use is always better.

Yes, crushed coral raises carbonate hardness (KH) which controls the pH. So if you add it the end result should be an elevated and much more stable pH/KH. I would not just add it to the substrate though. Use it in the filter just like carbon and it will be more effective and you won't need as much. You also won't have to alter the actual display.

Alrighty, got the test kit and here's the results. Hardness~25 and alkalinity almost none. I knew the water was crazy soft I bought a bag of crushed coral and some mesh bags. I know I need to add and test to get it right, but how much is a good starting point? 1 bag full in the filter? 2? Its a 48 gallon tank.

I can't answer your question of how many bags, but I can offer some advice based on the one bag of crushed coral that I keep in my filter...

On a regular basis, remove the bag(s) from your filter and roll it around between your hands in a bucket of old tank water. The coral will build up a sort of film when it sits in the filter for a while, and this seems to lower it's effectiveness. Rolling it around removes the film. It also helps to remove any debris that may have become trapped in there.

I add to the bag once or twice a year, as it dissolves. And yes, it has done wonders to stabilize my pH.

glassbird said:
I can't answer your question of how many bags, but I can offer some advice based on the one bag of crushed coral that I keep in my filter...

On a regular basis, remove the bag(s) from your filter and roll it around between your hands in a bucket of old tank water. The coral will build up a sort of film when it sits in the filter for a while, and this seems to lower it's effectiveness. Rolling it around removes the film. It also helps to remove any debris that may have become trapped in there.

I add to the bag once or twice a year, as it dissolves. And yes, it has done wonders to stabilize my pH.

How big is your tank and how much coral (estimated) do you add? I just have no idea where to start. Mine is 48 gallon. I don't know if I just want a few sprinkles or a packed bag...no clue :)

Just add as much as you can fit in the filter. It will not go above a vertain point (7.6 is is probably about where it will go and stay).

Thanks, I think I can probably fit 2 of the mesh bags into my HOB filter. I wonder how long it'll take before I can see it make a change?

Any hints on how to prep it? I hear it gets real dusty and clouds the tank like crazy if it's not thoroughly cleaned.

Just rinse it quickly and add it. You will probably test a difference tomorrow.

Fishguy2727 said:
How do you know you have soft water if you have no idea what the KH is? KH is carbonate hardness, the one that controls your pH. If the pH is 7.6 it is very unlikely that the KH is low at all.

Out of curiosity, if KH buffers your pH, what role does GH play?

GH stands for general hardness. It measures calcium and magnesium. KH stands for carbonate hardness (the k coming from the German form) and is a measure of carbonates and bicarbonates. The carbonates and bicarbonates are alkalinity, meaning they counter acidity and help keep your pH up and stable. With time KH goes down. The pH in the tank naturally goes down (wastes that build up are acidic and use up the KH). With water changes you remove those acidic waste products and (usually) replace the lost KH. In your case with no input of of KH in water changes you need to supplement the KH with the crushed coral.

This is one reason why water softener systems don't make sense. They remove Ca and Mg but add twice as much sodium. The overall effect is an actual increase in total dissolves solids (TDS) which in general is more important to the fish than GH or even KH.

Wow! It raised my pH from 7.2 to 7.6 (which is how it comes out of the tap) in about 10 minutes! I hope it doesn't keep climbing! I added 2 of the mesh bags into my HOB filter. There's probably about 2 good handfuls in there right now. Luckily it seems like an easy fix if it gets too high. I just take some out and do a pwc, right?

eco23 said:
Wow! It raised my pH from 7.2 to 7.6 (which is how it comes out of the tap) in about 10 minutes! I hope it doesn't keep climbing! I added 2 of the mesh bags into my HOB filter. There's probably about 2 good handfuls in there right now. Luckily it seems like an easy fix if it gets too high. I just take some out and do a pwc, right?

When my wife read this, she informed me that there is much more than 2 handfuls. I told her it was 2 man sized handfuls, lol.

Back
Top Bottom