Best way to switch filters.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 20 gallon FW tank that came with a Tetra kit. The filter is a Whipser Power filter. I would like to upgrade but I first need some helpful advice. What is the best way to switch filters once your tank has already been established for over 8 months?

Current stats:

20 gallon long with average winter temperature of 76-80 degrees F.
4 Harlequin Rasboras
5 Black Noen Tetras
2 Honey Gourami
3 Bronze Corydoras

My water parameters are fine and I have been doing 25-40% water changes about every 2 weeks or so. I just dont want to screw things up by changing filters. Thanks!

Run both filter at the same time for a month or so and then remove the old one. If they both wont fit take the media from the old filter and put it in the new filter even if you have to cut it to fit. Buy an Aquaclear 30 if you are getting a new one. It will serve you well.

Yes they're good too, but I prefer the aquaclear filters as well. Easier to clean and more room for different media.

So, if I went with an Aquaclear, I should get the 150/30 which services an 10-30 gallon tank? Or the 200/50 for tanks 20-50 gallons?

Depends on how many fish and how messy you have. From your stock I would think the 30 would be fine. But the larger is not much more money. Dr Foster and Smith 50 is only a dollar more why would you not get the bigger one.

I'd go with the Aquaclear 50 for price reasons. Can't beat it for the price. It's more than you need, but more is better than not enough.

Back
Top Bottom