Best wet pet for 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't fully know what "wet pet" could mean, but a semi-aquatic brackish mangrove tank with mollies, glass fish, and fiddler crabs would be cool.

Another option would be rainbowfish. As they're name suggests, many species are very bright and colourful. Examples are boesemani, praecox, turquoise, red Irian, Lake Tebera, parkinsoni, and aru.

Best wet pet

You could do a lone Oscar

Jack Dempsey

Heavily planted with figure 8 puffers

Caleb

Last edited:
Me being me i say a pairof discus, fully planted, with a lil group of rams running around.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would do a Jack Dempsey cichlid. If you ask me a 12" Oscar would look cramped in a 55 lol. Or maybe 4-5 Figure 8 puffers. Or a giant group of dwarf puffers, like hitting the 25 puffer mark lol. Now that would be a sight!

I would do a Jack Dempsey cichlid. If you ask me a 12" Oscar would look cramped in a 55 lol. Or maybe 4-5 Figure 8 puffers. Or a giant group of dwarf puffers, like hitting the 25 puffer mark lol. Now that would be a sight!

Oh boy that's a whole lotta snails!

Caleb

In my opinion, most Jack dempsey not wet pet material. Unless you get really lucky.

Your best bet, oscar, red devil, flowerhorn.

Whats your tank dimensions?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my opinion, most Jack dempsey not wet pet material. Unless you get really lucky.

Aside from her being terrified of my hand, mine is pretty friendly. Cruises her tank like she owns it(which she does) and always getting at the front for more food.

But it just depends on their personality.

Caleb

If you can source one, I recommend a pumpkinseed sunfish. They stay smaller than most other species (10") and are incredibly friendly and personable (to people, not so much to other fish!) They're a lot like big cichlids but personally I've found them to be even more spunky and enjoyable as pets.

My tank dimensions are 48L X 12D x 21H

12 depth pretty narrow :/
My 55g tank is 16 depth.

Up to you to try or not. It will be ok for a while until your oscar grows really big.

Try choosing the smallest one at the fish store and hope you get a female... females grow smaller I think
Or you will eventually need to rehome or sell oscar once it gets too large.

I wasn't planning to get an oscar anyway. I want one eventually, but wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 75g.

I have heard a lot of good things about blood parrots as wet pets, but I don't know your position on the heated blood parrot debate..

Ah, I see!

I'm still stuck deciding upon a fish. I really like oscars but I'd feel bad about the tank once its fully grown. I also really like puffers but I don't want to have to do a snail tank.

Looking for something else along those lines (personable, active, intelligent) that would work...

I must really congratulate you in all the research you're doing. I've seen your posts on here for several weeks GallonsOfFun. I think you need to just go with your gut and chose the fish you like! Get a fish already. :) From what I've read it looks like you want something bigger with more personality.

If you really like Oscars you should just get one and then upgrade the tank when it gets bigger. Then you could do something else with the 55.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I must really congratulate you in all the research you're doing. I've seen your posts on here for several weeks GallonsOfFun. I think you need to just go with your gut and chose the fish you like! Get a fish already. :) From what I've read it looks like you want something bigger with more personality.

If you really like Oscars you should just get one and then upgrade the tank when it gets bigger. Then you could do something else with the 55.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I want to make sure I get it right because I could be with it for 10-15 years. Plus I'm very conscious of the fact the tank and I will be their whole life so I don't want to screw it up.

Very tempted to get an oscar but I can't say whether or not I'll upgrade to a 75 in the next year or so...

I'd agree with the blood parrot as far as having a personality. I have one and he's the star of my tank. Was shy for the first few weeks until he became comfortable but now anytime he sees me he goes right to the top of the tank waiting for food lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom