beta are killers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kept a betta successfully with smaller gouramis, but a relative lost her black neons to the betta in a small aquarium.

It depends on the Betta, and the community ;). Some more aggressive Bettas are better off alone, but others may get along with certain tankmates. Usually peaceful fish that doesn't nip others' fins, and doesn't have fancy fins themselves are a safe choice. I think bottomfeeders like corys, plecos, or otos usually get along with Bettas fine.

I have had a betta in my community tank since I started having tanks about 10 or so years ago. I have never had a problem with them, but you do have to make sure you don't have any overly aggresive fish in the tank with them. My mom had some tin foil barbs in her tank, and they tore up the betta's fins. We took him out and he now lives in his own 5 gal tank until we can find a better home for the tin foils. HTH

Tiff :)

betta

I was told to avoid putting bettas with long finned fish and with fish with brighter colours than them, e.g. some male colisa lalia, but it depends on bettas.

My betta worked well with white cloud minnows and cory catfish. Often it takes a betta a few days to figure out how to deal with the other fish. Especially if they had been living in a little cup.

douggiestyle said:
can a beta go in a community tank?

i've had a betta that was the scourge of hell itself, but my other betta is in a planted community tank right now with 3 harlequin rasboras, 1 kuhli loach and a dwarf frog. I've even had him in with a SA puffer temporarily and he never even touched him. It depends on the individual, try adding the betta with a divider installed to see how it reacts to other fish.

You should inspect all of your fish prior to adding any new friends. And then watch them after adding new fish. This will give you an idea if torn fins are new or old and gives you an idea of temperment.

I have a beta in my 38g community tank. Everything went well for a few months with no problems whatsoever. Then my 3 fancy guppies started harassing the beta. I'm letting them work it out. To be honest, I don't want the guppies anymore. I finally lost one guppy 2 days ago.

I have heard from alot of people about bettas attacking fancy guppies. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the bettas seeing the guppy's tail and mistaking it for another betta.

As far as placing a betta in a community tank I agree with everyone else that it not only depends on the betta's temperment but on the choice of tankmates as well. I have kept my bettas in small community tanks with cories, plecs, cherry barbs, and harlequin rasboras.

I even had a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides temporarily in with a betta but had to move them because the of the bettas constant chasing of them. :lol:

Bryan

The betta didn't actually attack the guppies that I saw. The guppies started it every time. For all I know it was another guppy that killed the one because they started bothering each other after I've had them for a few years. Weirdest thing..

My Betta will not even chase or eat tasty looking Guppy fry swimming around in my tank. He just keeps to himself mostly and sometimes swims around with the other fish. This is the exact opposite of what I wanted, I bought the Betta to eat all the fry :(

I keep a female betta in my community tank, other than getting a little grumpy at a particular molly who always takes her food, she is quite content in her home with mollies/bala/snails/ect/ect

My male Betta, however, had a profound racist reaction to anything Bala.

So My male lives with a shoal [5] Albino Cories, and a few Zebra Danio

oh, so betas seemed to picked on. i thought it would be the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom