Beta planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
The girlfriend wants to do a plated beta tank. I have a glass blow that's 1.5-2 gallon. She wants to do water lilies, any ideas or hints.

There would be no filter or water pump and I'll be using water from my aquarium now so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Let's scrap that idea.. how's this sound? 5.5 gal with a small hob filter, small heater and some anubias and java fern. Maybe some dwarf water lettuce for a floating plant??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I get it.. it's just kind of crappy to keep something in a tiny, unfiltered bowl when you could easily give it a decent home. Up to you entirely though;)

Yeah. I've never had a beta before and not really sure on their care or how to keep them really happy.

I agree with the 5 gal. It's a better home for them.

What about with an air stone and sponge filter

You can do a sponge filter. We stress using a filter because without a cycled filter waste can build up very quickly and harm your fish.

Caleb

I'll be using tank water from existing tanks and be checking water parameters closely.

I'll be using tank water from existing tanks and be checking water parameters closely.

Water doesn't hold any(very minute amounts) bacteria in it. Your just adding dirty water :)

Caleb

I've kept bettas in 1 gallon filtered tanks. Even though it was cycled, 50% water changes every 2 days weren't enough to keep the water clean enough. Lost a lot of bettas to fin rot before I learned better.

I moved up to a 3 gallon, filtered at first. Then I planted it and took out the filter and it stayed cleaner without the filter.

Water lilies are too big. I'd suggest at minimum a 3 gallon (look up 3 gallon rimless tanks for inexpensive, centerpiece-worthy tanks often for under $40). And a lot of plants!! Crypts, maybe swords, Java fern and anubias if it's very low light.

Floating plants are key and can give that "lily pad" feel she wants. The floating plants are what clean the water the most. I like penny wort (weave some stems together and I'm time it looks like lily pads).

5 gallons, or more, with a filter, would be much much better. But if she's determined ... And all the stores reinforce that her idea is fine ... A 3 can be ok if she's dedicated.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The girlfriend wants to do a plated beta tank. I have a glass blow that's 1.5-2 gallon. She wants to do water lilies, any ideas or hints.

There would be no filter or water pump and I'll be using water from my aquarium now so that shouldn't be a problem.

Get a bigger tank

Thank you everyone for the advice, I broke the news yesterday that it will not work.

Back
Top Bottom