beta splendens and colisa lalia tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I'm new in that hobby and I've got a 120 liter tank with 10 rasbora hengeli, 6 kuhli and 3 ancistrus. I'd like to add one beta splendens and a couple of colisa lalia. Is it possible and if it is, which one should I introduce first? Thanks

Well it's been over a month for this post so I guess you already did what you where going to do but to answer your question, the Dwarf might go after the bettas fins unless its a Plakat betta then every thing should be ok.

My experience with Colisa Lalia (Dwarf Gourami) has been that they can be nippy, males especially. I wouldn't recommend putting the Betta with them because, like Wolverine said, they'll probably bite the fins off the Betta. If I'm not mistaken, It's best to keep Bettas alone or with females in a decent size tank. In their natural habitat they rarely, or don't at all, encounter any other species of fish. I could be wrong, though.

betta splendens and colisa lalia (dwarf gouramy)

Hi ,thanks for your reply. Yes I did put a couple of dwarf gourami and 3 weeks later, about 10 days ago, I put one male betta. First the betta showed himself quite a lot and the male gourami looked quite impressed but after a couple of hours he calmed down and on the next day everything was quiet, the dwarf gourami still looked a little stressed, though. Up to now, everything is very quiet. they look completely indifferent, except the female gourami who from time to time swims near the betta, I think she's flirting!! The only moment when they look a little nervous is after eating in the evening, just before I switch the lights off, for an hour or so, they all 3 chase one another in turn.

Well looks like you have a fun tank to watch, I'm glad that everything worked out for you. I have heard of those flirting female dwarfs, you gotta watch 'em :eek:

Back
Top Bottom