Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on there personality and what fish it would be with. Some bettas are very aggressive and some don't have a bad bone in there body.

From experience, corydoras, neon tetras, kuhli loaches and snails work.

It's actually best to build the tank around the betta, rather than add him to an established community setting.

What about a dwarf gourami and a platy?

dwarf gourami - some say yes, others say no.
They are ofcourse related, so they may become territorial towards each other.

I think the biggest factor is the size of the tank.
How big is your tank?
The bigger the tank, the greater the chance they could co-exist.

Platy - they are active fish and might bother the betta.

^Live together peacefully for the most part.

Ex: The United States and Canada coexist peacefully.

Just wanted to share my knowledge, I like grammar :)

With bettas you want to stay away from tank mates with longer fins. They might see this as another male betta. Gouramis are iffy because of their 'feelers'. Guppies are also a no-no for bettas

Lowryder said:
With bettas you want to stay away from tank mates with longer fins. They might see this as another male betta. Gouramis are iffy because of their 'feelers'. Guppies are also a no-no for bettas

I agree. Fifteen characters

Everybody has given you good advice. IME, most bettas do fine in a carefully selected community. I agree that they are a fish you plan around rather then add to an established set-up.
Sometimes bettas get along with dg's, but it is not usually recommended. It works for some people, but I would avoid it if I was you. Platy? That depends on the betta.

absolutangel04 said:
Everybody has given you good advice. IME, most bettas do fine in a carefully selected community. I agree that they are a fish you plan around rather then add to an established set-up.
Sometimes bettas get along with dg's, but it is not usually recommended. It works for some people, but I would avoid it if I was you. Platy? That depends on the betta.

Ya, every betas personality is unique. So you sometimes have to take your best guess at the lfs, and then hope it is the personality you wanted...

With bettas you want to stay away from tank mates with longer fins. They might see this as another male betta. Gouramis are iffy because of their 'feelers'.

I agree wholeheartedly, I have had this problem with a Gold gourami and a veiltail angel. Proceed with caution :brows:

I keep my betta with plattys, molly, corys, tetras, a dg, ottos and a pair of rams and no problems. I have a back up 20 gallon for the betta if there was ever a problem but in my 55g at least everyone seems to have their own territory set already and nothing seems to get on the other ones nerve. The betta was actually the last fish added I put him in a breeder net and checked to see if he flared and after a day of watching he never did and so let him join the rest of the community.

I have kept a good amount of bettas before, and in my experience you can basically keep a Betta with community tanks... Really depends in the Betta, I got a Betta right now with guppies and guppy frys...no one gets bitten except maybe the guppies will attack the other guppies but other than that it's fine...BUT I also had a few bettas that attacked anything!!!! Even me lol....

The majority of betta's I've owned have done great in communities. I've also had one or two that could not tolerate any kind of tankmates. I think it's best to only try it if you can provide a proper home for the betta on it's own if it ends up not being community friendly. You haven't said what size tank this is. I would never mix a male betta with a gourami, but I do keep a female betta with a male gourami in a fairly heavily planted 29 gal. I wouldn't try the mix in anything smaller.

IME I've found the female bettas to be more agressive to any kind of tank mate but my male bettas have always gotten along well with corydoras and yo - yo loaches. But personally I haven't tried any other tank mates besides these listed so Idk.

I didn't have too much luck with my Halfmoon Double-tail betta in my 20g community.........

Back
Top Bottom