Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitaddict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to this forum but not new to fish keeping. As my title says, BETTA, I'm thinking about keeping a betta by itself with a brittlenose pleco in a 20 gallon. I know there's a lot more space, but I'm really limited on time and patience so just getting a betta alone with some plants. Thread about plants will be later. I'm just wondering what is te perfect betta setup since they're labyrinth. Also, I'm thinking about putting ghost shrimp in there. Please don't suggest me any fish since I have English to take care of since I'm in high school. Thanks.

Howdy and welcome! Bettas are like people, some are easy going and others are grumpy. Take this into consideration with tank mates, even if you only want shrimp and a bristle nosed pleco. The betta may or may not eat your shrimp and the bnp may get picked on. As for the perfect setup, it's up to you. Is your style natural or themed(example spongebob) personally, i like my tanks natural. Give your betta plenty of plants and real driftwood for the pleco. Good luck.

Wha would the male to female ratio be, how many more Bettas. Also I'm thinking about getting crown tails, but why are they more expensive then the others? Are Bettas hard to breed. Also, since they're labyrinth and need still water, does that mean still surface or the tank water COMPLETELY STILL, is it okay for an air stone? Sorry for the overload of questions, trying to set up the best way.

mitaddict said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum but not new to fish keeping. As my title says, BETTA, I'm thinking about keeping a betta by itself with a brittlenose pleco in a 20 gallon. I know there's a lot more space, but I'm really limited on time and patience so just getting a betta alone with some plants. Thread about plants will be later. I'm just wondering what is te perfect betta setup since they're labyrinth. Also, I'm thinking about putting ghost shrimp in there. Please don't suggest me any fish since I have English to take care of since I'm in high school. Thanks.

A Betta will LOVE a 20g & if its set up with lots of plants real or silk & cave structures I think you'll be good. As the other poster said they can be temperamental with tank mates so keep a close eye out for problems & have a back up plan. They tend do well with bottom dwellers or fish that don't look like them, at least mine do. Shrimp may become a tasty snack so don't be surprised if the shrimp disappear. My males share their individual 10g tanks with a Mystery snail each which is all I'm comfortable trying out. My female Bettas are 8 in a sorority with 2 Chinese algae eaters & a mystery snail.

Thanks, but how do I breed them. I will be including a couple of rainbow slate, lava cave, and 2 pieces of driftwood with plants in the future.

mitaddict said:
Thanks, but how do I breed them. I will be including a couple of rainbow slate, lava cave, and 2 pieces of driftwood with plants in the future.

Oh that's a complicated process in my book. Someone on here, Blert if I remember correctly, can give you the ins & outs of that. It takes a special diet, separate tank set up a special way & some other stuff. Don't just out a male & female in the same tank & expect them to breed, one will kill the other if the set up is correct for breeding.

mitaddict said:

You cannot keep male bettas with female bettas at any time other than for breeding. When not spawning they will fight to the death. You can, however, I have a tank with multiple females (I'd say 5-7 in that tank) and though there might be some nipping at first usually they will all live together in peace and harmony. It actually makes for a beautiful setup.

shellieca said:
Oh that's a complicated process in my book. Someone on here, Blert if I remember correctly, can give you the ins & outs of that. It takes a special diet, separate tank set up a special way & some other stuff. Don't just out a male & female in the same tank & expect them to breed, one will kill the other if the set up is correct for breeding.

Oops typing on my iPad, it should say if the tank ISN'T set up correctly.

YaBuddyHuddie said:
You cannot keep male bettas with female bettas at any time other than for breeding. When not spawning they will fight to the death. You can, however, I have a tank with multiple females (I'd say 5-7 in that tank) and though there might be some nipping at first usually they will all live together in peace and harmony. It actually makes for a beautiful setup.

Did not mean to say I have. I have had them before though.

So can I add 3 female crown tails, forget the breeding, but will an air pump harm the Bettas because my pleco is already in and needs lots of oxygenated water.

mitaddict said:
So can I add 3 female crown tails, forget the breeding, but will an air pump harm the Bettas because my pleco is already in and needs lots of oxygenated water.

With a pleco you are going to need a good filteration system. You need an HOB (hang on back) filter rated for at least the size of your aquarium. Plecos are extremely dirty and having the other bettas in the tank will not help. Also, 3 female bettas is risky because the less you have the more likely it is that one will become dominant and beat up on the others. 5 is really the smallest number you should have. You have a lot to learn my friend, but we're all here to help.

mitaddict said:

Bettas tend to like calmer waters but if the tank is planted well or set up where there is a calm area for them to rest they'll be OK. If you can do some kind of floating plant all the better. I have one of those feeder rings where I have floating plants so they don't float all over the tank.

image-3835060214.jpg
This is my 46g with all the females.

Nope, I have never attempted to breed Bettas. I do know that you do not house them together or one, maybe both, will end up dead. You would need at least three tanks I think... One for the male, one to move the female to after the deed is done and one for the fry.
It is possible to house multiple females together but, as for their needs, you will have to wait on someone with experience with that.
Depending on the fish, it is also possible to house one male and a sorority together but you would need a big tank and a 20 is not even close.
Again, there are those out there that have experience with this so wait for them to give you a correct run down on how to do it.

Stick with only ONE Betta in your tank. It may or may not make a snack of the shrimp, depends on the Betta's attitude.
Not sure about the BNP, 20 gallons seems a bit small for one. Maybe try a school of Cories or Otos.
I would skip the lava rock. That stuff is sharp and will likely contribute to some shredded fins.
Stick with live or silk plants as the plastic ones also tend to be a little hard on a Betta's delicate fins.

As I said I have experience with female betta sororities so if you would like any help let me know.

I would LOVE your help. Instead of the 20, I will use it for something else. Which tank would work for a brittlenose pleco, 5female crown tails, and some shrimp. Would a 36 gallon work instead? It is still cycling?

blert said:
Nope, I have never attempted to breed Bettas. I do know that you do not house them together or one, maybe both, will end up dead. You would need at least three tanks I think... One for the male, one to move the female to after the deed is done and one for the fry.
It is possible to house multiple females together but, as for their needs, you will have to wait on someone with experience with that.
Depending on the fish, it is also possible to house one male and a sorority together but you would need a big tank and a 20 is not even close.
Again, there are those out there that have experience with this so wait for them to give you a correct run down on how to do it.

Stick with only ONE Betta in your tank. It may or may not make a snack of the shrimp, depends on the Betta's attitude.
Not sure about the BNP, 20 gallons seems a bit small for one. Maybe try a school of Cories or Otos.
I would skip the lava rock. That stuff is sharp and will likely contribute to some shredded fins.
Stick with live or silk plants as the plastic ones also tend to be a little hard on a Betta's delicate fins.

I stand corrected, sorry, for some reason you came to mind when I was trying to remember who I'd seen post about breeding Bettas.

mitaddict said:
I would LOVE your help. Instead of the 20, I will use it for something else. Which tank would work for a brittlenose pleco, 5female crown tails, and some shrimp. Would a 36 gallon work instead? It is still cycling?

I think the 20 would work. Most people say 20's are too small for bristlenoses. I respectfully disagree. Their max size is roughly 5 inches give or take a little. That stock in a 20 would be rough but as long as you do weekly water changes (25-30%) and provide A LOT of hiding places I see the 20 as a realistic and possibly wonderful option in the long run. About the shrimp...I keep shrimp and I love them, but you gotta e careful with the bettas. The bettas may see them as a snack or pay them no mind at all. I'd suggest providing lots of moss type plants the shrimp can hide in. Java moss is very easy to grow and would be great.

Back
Top Bottom