Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to know the disadvantages and advantages of having a betta in a bowl vs having them in a tank. Like a 3 or 4 gallon bowl or a 5.5 gallon tank.

It's just all around better..health wise and space for it..everything haha.

Hi Katie,

I personally prefer a tank for the following reasons:
A) more space for your betta to swim
B) you are more likely able to put in a small filter to help keep the water clean
C) more water volume, means the water isn't going to get toxic as quickly (therefore water changes will be less frequent, but at least once a week, partial water change.
D) you will have more space to add plants and somewhere for the betta to hide.

Dont forget a heater. Its easier to find a good heater for a tank than a bowl.

I have my betta in a 29 gallon with a bunch of other fish. He is super active and jumps out of the tank for food and stuff. Way cooler way to keep one if you ask me. I have had them in a bowl before and it was pretty boring.

I'm just worried about adding him in with my other fish. I don't want him to kill them. If I have a 37 with a bala, a bristle nose pleco, and that's it for now do you think he'd be okay? And what kind of fish should I avoid putting in their with him? I honestly don't mind don't the high volume water changes every week and I do have a heater on his to keep him healthy. We've had him for three months and no problems at all. He's very active and will eat food from a stick when given. I give him a good diet too. I just don't want something to happen to him or my other fish.

I'm just worried about adding him in with my other fish. I don't want him to kill them. If I have a 37 with a bala, a bristle nose pleco, and that's it for now do you think he'd be okay? And what kind of fish should I avoid putting in their with him? I honestly don't mind don't the high volume water changes every week and I do have a heater on his to keep him healthy. We've had him for three months and no problems at all. He's very active and will eat food from a stick when given. I give him a good diet too. I just don't want something to happen to him or my other fish.

Put his bowl beside the tank or put him in something and let him float around in it. See how he acts. They are usually only aggressive to other Betta or very bright fish with a lot of fin. Such as fancy guppies.

I think it also depends on the fish. I have a betta who can't swim well, so he is in a 1 gallon very heavily planted jar so he can get food easier, get air easier, and won't exert too much energy trying to get from place to place till he gets better, or if he gets better. If he doesn't get better, then he can stay in his tank, or maybe I will upgrade depending on how he does. I do a 1/4 water change every other day, and he has a heater at 76 degrees. I think if he was in a 5 gal tank he wouldn't do so well since he can't swim that great. He seems to be doing fine in his 1 gal, he even made a bubble nest last night. I'd like to get another betta or two, and they'll probably go into larger tanks.

Just my opinion.

I think it also depends on the fish. I have a betta who can't swim well, so he is in a 1 gallon very heavily planted jar so he can get food easier, get air easier, and won't exert too much energy trying to get from place to place till he gets better, or if he gets better. If he doesn't get better, then he can stay in his tank, or maybe I will upgrade depending on how he does. I do a 1/4 water change every other day, and he has a heater at 76 degrees. I think if he was in a 5 gal tank he wouldn't do so well since he can't swim that great. He seems to be doing fine in his 1 gal, he even made a bubble nest last night. I'd like to get another betta or two, and they'll probably go into larger tanks.

Just my opinion.

If he made a bubble nest he must be happy. Mine has not done that yet, he has been in the big tank for around 2 months. I have a lot of water flow in my tank tho so it could be that. Who knows.

If he made a bubble nest he must be happy. Mine has not done that yet, he has been in the big tank for around 2 months. I have a lot of water flow in my tank tho so it could be that. Who knows.

Tanks with a good bit of flow make it hard for them to build a nest since the water moves the bubbles around. When my veiltail was in my 56 gallon tank with lots of flow, I never saw him build a nest until my power got knocked out for a day. Without the filters going he built a big nest, and looked so sad when the filter came back on and destroyed it. He has since been moved to a divided 10 gallon with low flow and he seems a lot happier.

I agree that a tank with a heater and filter is a better idea than a bowl, even a larger one. If you can fit a heater and filter into the bowl, and it is at least a couple gallons, that could be ok too. Bettas in bowls are generally pretty boring fish. Give them some room and nice warm water and they are active and exciting little fish. I have three males right now, two in a divided 10 gallon and one with a 10 gallon all to himself, and they really do make the most of the space you give them. All of them are always darting around and exploring. I had one of my males in a vase for a while while I was getting a tank ready for him and he used to just float around and look bored, and now he is everywhere!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll try putting him next to the tank and see how it works out. Mine makes bubble nests frequently which is why I'm never been worried about him.

Back
Top Bottom