Betta and Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up a 38-gallon tank for my dad, and I'm thinking of stocking it with something like 3-4 angels and 10 cardinal tetras or something similar. Sounds like a pretty decent stock to me, but my stepmom also really likes betta fish, and I know people say you can't keep bettas with other fish, especially not other gouramis, but I have a 10 gallon betta sorority tank with 4 female bettas and 8 harlequin rasboras, and I also have a female betta in my 20 gallon community tank that has two dwarf gouramis and a bunch of guppies and kuhli loaches. I have no problems with aggression or territory between the fish I have, so is it possible, given betta(s) and angels with the right temperament, to have either a single male betta or a small sorority of females in the same tank as angels?

Also, if you can think of some better options for the stock, please feel free to make a suggestion:)

I think 4 angelfish is a little much for that size tank. Personally, id go with 2 angelfish and your school of Cardinals with some Cory catfish rather than the bettas. This gives you centerpiece fish, top and bottom fish. Seems more balanced. If you decide on bettas I wouldn't add a male betta but I guess you could try 4 female's. At that point I think you are pretty much maxed out for that tank size IMO.

I think 4 angelfish is a little much for that size tank. Personally, id go with 2 angelfish and your school of Cardinals with some Cory catfish rather than the bettas. This gives you centerpiece fish, top and bottom fish. Seems more balanced. If you decide on bettas I wouldn't add a male betta but I guess you could try 4 female's. At that point I think you are pretty much maxed out for that tank size IMO.
Care to explain why not male?

I have 4 angels, 1 male Betta and 3female in a 50G.
Got tetras and Cory's as well.

Maybe yours was preoccupied with the females. I couldn't keep mine from fighting with tank mates. Never attempted it again. But I understand it's not always the case.

Although, I had introduced them to the tank at the same time. The angles were big like a nickel at the time.

Good plan. Ive had a lot of success outside the normal should's and shouldnt's of keeping fish together doing exactly what you did.

I have heard that bettas and Angels are not a good combo. The betta may see the angels as another betta and attack them. Neither are fast swimmers. 4 angels in a 38 also sounds like a heavy bio load in the tank when the angels are larger. That said I have never personally tried that mix on the advice of others.

Back
Top Bottom