Betta and Clown loachs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my eye on this betta at Petsmart for the past couple weeks and I think today is the day to get him. But I would also like some Clown Loachs or Yo Yo Loachs. Would I have any issues putting a Crowntail Betta and 2 or 3 Loachs and a Clown Pleco in a 10G? The Loachs I plan to get are all juvi's and I know that clown loachs grow about an inch a year. They'll also be moved to my larger tank in a few months after I'm done getting it ready and cycled and whatnot.

I have never heard or aggression between clown loaches and betta's before,saying that though each betta has a different personality and take different dislikes to different fishies so its just luck really. Clown loaches can attain a maximum size of 1 foot so you will have to have a fairly large tank set up for when they get bigger.

Best thing to maybe do is hold off on the loaches just now until this other tank has cycled and then transfer the betta over =)

You wouldn't have any compatibility issues between the betta and the loaches; however, clown loaches get extremely big. Under proper care and conditions (and many years), clown loaches can easily reach 8+ inches, and there have been reports of them reaching closer to a foot long as well if you have adaquate space for them and you decide to keep them for that long.

I would recommend that you pass on the clown loaches in that small of a tank and just wait until you get a larger tank (hopefully at -least- 55+ gallons), then go ahead and grab a few of them for that tank. If you really want a loach for now, you could maybe look at some of the smaller types of loaches that don't grow quite as large, but don't just get another loach just for the sake of having one that you can keep in your 10 gallon for a while. Just wait and give your clown loaches the proper sized habitat later on, they'll thank you for it :)

Thanks for all the advice. I bought the betta and he is doing just fine all by himself, exploring the tank and just swimming around. I could go with any loach really. My next tank is going to be a 75G community. I want to stock it with some clown, yo yo, and botia loachs, as well as maybe some tetras and a couple different types of pleco to go along with my rainbow shark and black ghost knife. I'm going to attempt to breed my clown plecos after the tank is set up.

75 gallons will be great to put some clown loaches in, as long as you don't over stock it too heavily with other large fish as well. I really like botia loaches too, I think they're so pretty, especially botia kubotai if you are able to find any.

The clown loachs will eventually be the second largest fish in the tank besides the bkg. But by the time they become fully grown, I'll probably have upgraded my community tank. I was thinking about getting 4 of each and adding them to the tank in sets. I may move the betta over to the new tank once it is set up and I've finished stocking. I put my shrimp tank on hold to get the betta. As soon as I have finished with my three current tanks I'll post pictures of all of them.

You wouldn't have any compatibility issues between the betta and the loaches; however, clown loaches get extremely big. Under proper care and conditions (and many years), clown loaches can easily reach 8+ inches, and there have been reports of them reaching closer to a foot long as well if you have adaquate space for them and you decide to keep them for that long.

I would recommend that you pass on the clown loaches in that small of a tank and just wait until you get a larger tank (hopefully at -least- 55+ gallons), then go ahead and grab a few of them for that tank. If you really want a loach for now, you could maybe look at some of the smaller types of loaches that don't grow quite as large, but don't just get another loach just for the sake of having one that you can keep in your 10 gallon for a while. Just wait and give your clown loaches the proper sized habitat later on, they'll thank you for it :)

I couldn't agree more and would recommend nothing under 120 for a group of clowns housed for life. Kuhlis are the only loaches that are even close to appropriate for a 10 IME. Yoyos are extremely active and need more lateral room.

Okay, I think I'll just wait on the loachs for now and maybe get some Tetra's or Danios. I should start setting up the 75G in about a week or so, but after the fishless cycle and the hardscaping (I'm leaning toward an emergent plant tank) it'll probably be a couple months before I can start buying fish to stock it with, even then I'll be stocking 2, possibly 3, separate tanks within the same time period.

Lucky! :)

Loaches are some of my favorite fish! We have 5 or 6 species in a couple tanks and they are by far the most entertaining! Just be sure to research their temperament and max size before you add them. Clown loaches are one of the most mis-stocked and irresponsibly sold fish around IMO, right there with Oscars, Plecos, etc.

Loaches have become some of my favorite fish. I've been researching them for a few months now and I can't wait to get some. I may even throw some kuli loaches into the bigger tank, if it won't be overstocked. I have a couple more months to research everything. I might buy a used 55G tank as well, just in case my BKG decides he doesn't like loaches.

Back
Top Bottom