Betta and guppy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...the shop guy said to keep it [the tank] running for two days till I put in fish for the cycle...

Unfortunately, that advice is wrong, but a lot of fish shops say that. I think they must read it from some kind of fish shop or manufacturer literature or information packet. That advice is good for fish store profits, but it's bad or often fatal to fish.

Two bits of wisdom that are often stated in this forum are 1) "Don't believe the fish store", and 2) Do your own research.

It depends on your water readings. Web mine were bad I had to do 50% every day! I'm now once a week and do about 35%.

Shane l said:
Just finished I I've noticed a change in their behavior for the good every one is excited how often and how much do I take out a replace water during the cycle?

If it were me I'd do one daily. Otherwise let water test results determine your wc schedule.

Thanks for all the help! I'm a betta guy and know a lot (I think) but not about the others I have done a lot of research but got conflicting opinions any 1 know the do's and fonts for Cory's and guppys ?

Ok, we've got a huge problem here. This tank is too small for anything but a single betta.

Sorry, it's not 10 gallons after all, as has just been pointed out.

You have to rehome all fish but the betta.

See if you can maybe trade that tank in for a 20 gallon. Then you could keep the species you want. (y)

Isn't there a thing like an inch of fish per gallon

That's not a "real" rule..... it's not wise to follow it....

Fish require a certain amount of room to be happy and healthy. Look at the betta's flowing fins. He needs room to swim so that he won't catch them on anything. The fish need space between the species, too.

It's just not smart to overstock a tank, especially when you're new to the hobby. You'll run into all kinds of illness that you're just not prepared to deal with.

Trust me.....

Ok dude I know you are getting freaked out so this may help.
I know from your previous comment that you probably cant afford a new tank. You could try to find someone to take the fish for you or you can just keep up with the water changes REALLY well. That tank cannot be a healthy happy permanent home but you can use it as a temporary home. Just keep changing your water often.
Also next time before you go to the fish store ask us for advice on here. We can help you through alot trust me. I have been helped SOOOOO much through this sight.
So hang in there and KEEP UP WITH WATER CHANGES!!! As soon as you can afford to upgrade you should.
BTW a tank of at least 30 gallons will probably be best for you fish if I am not mistaken.
Good luck and God bless!

Back
Top Bottom