Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Betta and guppy problem

Bought a new 30 litre tank (10 gallons ) on Wednesday and the shop guy said to keep it running for two days till I put in fish for the cycle that I did got the fish today (Friday) 7 guppys and 4 Cory catfish the first problem is that my albino Cory is Alot less active than the others as in he's not moving the second problem is I put my betta in there and he was quite aggressive but it seems to have died down

Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start at the very beginning, shall we? You were given really bad advice by the shop guy.

If you do not understand how a tank cycles, please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Your tank is overstocked and poorly stocked. Unless they are pygmy corys, 4 corys are going to be too much for 10 gallons.

The betta will not get along with the guppies, because of the flowing fins. I personally believe bettas should be in a species only tank, as they quite often do not get along with tankmates.

I would suggest you take the corys back and either the guppies or betta back.

Pick up an API master kit (liquid) so that you can test your readings during the cycling phase and after. Very important while cycling. You need to know the numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, so that you'll be aware of just how toxic the levels are for your fish.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the reply my betta I've had go 4 months now but he has left every 1alone now he's more interested in his cave the Cory's are all dwarfs that's my albino in the pic and my tank isnt green or dirty that's just my room colour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2828081982.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	61761  
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perhaps you're one of the lucky ones and have a betta who likes friends.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha it appears so but I'm stressed about my Corey I don't now what to do. Thanks again for helping me
Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
If you do not understand how a tank cycles, please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Pick up an API master kit (liquid) so that you can test your readings during the cycling phase and after. Very important while cycling. You need to know the numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, so that you'll be aware of just how toxic the levels are for your fish.
What are your readings?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I constantly monitor him and his breathing it's a lot slower than the others put they have been zooming around.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again, what are your readings?

Believe it or not, your readings play a crucial role in the health of your fish. Knowing your readings is the best way for us to help you.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is a problem I can't afford a test kit and I will not be able to return my fish now what
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I spoke to my mom and she will get me a kit tomorrow are my babies gonna be fine ?

Tags
betta, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com