Betta and Neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just got a Betta with 6 neons today, I went out to dinner to come back to fins 2 dead in the water and 1 MIA. My tank is good so could the Betta have done this?

Well I just found the third dead. The tank is fine PH is 7.4, Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 and nitrates 40.

Don't feel too bad. I started out with 14 neons and 7 died within a week for no reason! The 7 remaining neons have been doing great though. I've never kept neons with a betta before so I'm not sure if the betta could have caused the deaths.

Bettas and neons are not too compatible in my experience. What size tank do you have? Aggression is multiplied in a small tank. However, neons are not very hardy and your reading of 40 ppm nitrates could be high enough to stress and kill these sensitive fish.

I house cardinal tetras with a male betta and the betta hasn't shown any aggression towards them. It could be that I have a fairly large tank, but that's just my experience with it.

Losing Neons is nothing new. I have 8 with an extra aggresive female Betta, and she completely ignores them the majority of the time. I would just guess that your Neon deaths are normal. I bought 20 Neons for my 29g, lost 2 for no obvious reason in the first couple days, and the remaining 18 have been thriving for months now. Just keep trying, and buy a couple extras just like you would with Otocinclus Cats.

The No3 does seem a little high, but I always thought a sudden change in No3 caused death over a longer period of time. Could be wrong though.

Yeah the nitrate is high but I thought anything 40 and under is alright. Im trying to lower it and may buy a small plant or two to help with it.

Back
Top Bottom