Betta and Oto cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DownDogKate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male betta in a 10g by himself. I'd like a clean up crew for his tank, but I'm not quite willing to just "buy and see" to figure out what will survive - it seems cruel to the new guys.

Pongo is is pretty mellow betta, although very curious. I'm sure he'd eat my RCS so that's out, but something bigger with a small bioload would likely work out. I've been thinking about some oto cats, but how many do I need to have? I know they prefer groups but I don't want to overstock.

In the 10g, it's just Pongo, two 6" tall Amazon Swords, two 4" A. Swords, four 6" tall crypt wendtti, three 3" tall crypts and two 5" wisteria that are currently floating. It's filtered with a Fluval 20 and the outflow is buffered with a sponge to keep the current slow enough for Pongo.

Should I get some Otos and if so, how many?

Yea, go for it!

I have a betta in a community with Otos, and they do fine, but make sure that your tank is at least 6 months old or enough algae or diatoms to feed the oto
I would only add 2 so they can have enough bio film

I would do a group of 4-5 otos in a tank that size. They will do just fine with a Betta. The only fish you want to avoid as far as bettas are concerned are fish that are nippy or have big showy fins.

I'll start with 2 and if it goes well, add more. Yay!

The tank has been up and running for well over a year, so there's plenty for them to eat. I don't have decor, just the plants and gravel. Should I get something for them to hide in/under?

I would at least get some fake plants. Maybe even try out some live anubias. It'll give them something to hang around on as well as a place for more food to grow on.

I have slightly aggressive Betta and they both do very well with Corydoras and Clown Plecos, just FYi. =)

Keep an eye on those ottos they are known to starve themselves in captivity. They very often will not eat prepared foods so if they don't feed blanched cucumbers, zucchini, and spinach.

Thank you, goldfish loach boy. I wasnt sure.

I picked up 2 this afternoon and they are acclimating right now. I'll put them in the tank when I get home from work and keep an eye for a while ti make sure it goes ok. If not, they'll go in the 36g with my RCS.

Update: my betta Pongo turned out to be too curious (and liked to chase). My new little Otos were stressed out, so I moved them to my 36g to live with my CPDs and RCS. Sigh. I just wanted some clean up guys in there but it seems he needs to live alone. Oh well.

I've been trying to get my hands on ghost shrimp, but I've been thinking all along that they would just be a tasty snack food him. That's why I tried the oto cats - easier to get my hands on around here. I will try shrimp - its just a matter of timing. There's room in other tanks if he tries to eat them. =-O

I've read that they should be fine. I was at my LFS today, and they had a male in a shrimp tank. They said he ate their molting sometimes... But not the actual shrimp. What about ADF? I know they aren't good cleaners, but they aren't messy either. And super cute IMO. :) (I had 2 in with 6 female betas, and they got along great.)

Shrimp can be hit or miss with bettas. While some may tolerate them mine has either a personal vendetta against all shrimp species or views them as a fancy rare delicacy, I'm not sure which.

If you can get your hands on some adult amanos those would probably be your best bet. If I'm not mistaken they grow to about 2" which should be safe from a betta.

Back
Top Bottom