Betta and shells...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I want to purchase a Betta fish for my bathroom... I have some shells that I want to put in it but I'm not sure if it will alter the ph to much. I do plan on changing some of the water every other day so I don't think it will have that much of an impact if any...

as long as you clean them really good with hot water everything should be fine

Yeah, bettas usually do fine with whatever you do with them, as long as it's not extreme. I do 100% water changes once a week, and even without prime or anything they do swell. I do use conditioners, but they're hardy little fish, and are happy with a lot.

I didn't test the shells to see if they bubbled but I assumed if the came from water they should be fine.

Hobgob said:
I didn't test the shells to see if they bubbled but I assumed if the came from water they should be fine.

Don't assume stuff. Someone on here got a peice of fake driftwood and found a huge spider on it when added to the tank. Check things carefully and closely before adding. Be sure to provide your betta with a cycled, filtered, and heated five gal or larger and you'll be fine. Enjoy the tank!

emerald76 said:
Don't assume stuff. Someone on here got a peice of fake driftwood and found a huge spider on it when added to the tank. Check things carefully and closely before adding. Be sure to provide your betta with a cycled, filtered, and heated five gal or larger and you'll be fine. Enjoy the tank!

I meant I didn't do the vinegar test I rinsed it in hot water and Betta fish do fine without a filter and a heater. All fish can do fine without a heater technically... As long as the rooms temp is steady and doesn't change. And for 5 gal. They do fine in a smaller tank then that. I wouldn't go smaller then 2 gal. I'm going to be doing big water changes everyday. Also if I fell he is struggling I have multiple tanks I can put him in... I don't know if I want a female though. That way I can use her for breeding...

Does anybody know if the shells with alter my ph though? Like I said, I will be doing water changes daily so u don't think it will have that big of impact if any... I might put him into the hex. There aren't any nippers in there...

Shells are made of calcium, so yes it's likely, but it depends, if the water is not very acidic it may not at all. It works in the same way that crushed coral or aragonite works to buffer a tank. As Chiroptera mentioned, it should be fine.

jetajockey said:
Shells are made of calcium, so yes it's likely, but it depends, if the water is not very acidic it may not at all. It works in the same way that crushed coral or aragonite works to buffer a tank. As Chiroptera mentioned, it should be fine.

I see I wasn't sure if it would work the same as coral or not. I will just make sure to do water changes to keep it constant. That way the tank stays clean to...

Um, you said you were going to keep this beta in your bathroom? That sounds like solitary confinement to me. Betas enjoy watching you move around, and the bathroom isnt used for anything other than a bathroom. So he would be bored out of his mind. I would consider putting him on a bar or in a central location in your house.

Im with jetta here. The only time any of my fish see me is at feeding time and cleaning time. He will be happy making his bubble nest bigger. He is so nice I would post a picture but I have exceeded my quota...

I dunno, I interact with my bettas a lot and they seem to enjoy it, but maybe that's just because my female is aggressive and loves biting my fingers to let out steam. Either way, as long as the bathroom lights don't go on and off constantly (bettas do need a day/night cycle) they should be fine.

I agree that fish don't get bored, but I also agree that bettas are very sociable fish with their humans.

I would also be concerned about the humidity factor in the bathroom. I had heard a long time ago that it wasn't good for maintaining the temp of the tank, and created other issues, but I'm sorry that I really can't recall where or what exactly was said. The topic doesn't come up that often.

There isn't a shower or bath in this washroom and it's attached to my bedroom so in the only one who uses it. And the lights do not get turned on and off... No need for a light when there is an aquarium in the room and at night I use my phone to get around. That way to fish in my room don't get freaked out... But whats the difference between a bathroom and any other room as far as lights go. Someone can go into a room and turn the light on... Unless you have a fish room...

Quite often, bathrooms have no windows and no ambient light source. If you do have a lighted tank, I don't see where this would pose an issue.

Ah I see, now I understand where your coming from. but ya it has a light in it...his bubble nest is huge. When I left for work I could see he had a little nest going but now it easily covers him...

heyy I have 6 bettas 2 females and 4 males they r so cool to jus sit and watch but my bettas are all in my room up stairs away from the every day things like othe pets nd other ppl they like jus to watch me move around and clean and stuff I put one In my bathroom and he did not like it he was tryin to jump out the bowl and stuff and then I got him a female and mover him in to my room too and he is great

I have a lid for my aquarium so he won't be able to jump out. How can they get bored? In nature they don't watch humans all the time. They sit and wait...

It's just easy for us to anthropomorphize our pets, which basically means that we apply human characteristics to them.

As to whether bettas are better off or worse off with our interaction, I've no conclusive proof either way. They did fine in nature for eons before we started keeping them, so I'm inclined to say that they don't need us in any way. Of course now that we have taken them from the wild it changes that game, as they are dependent upon us for survival, but that's just the basic needs (food/water etc).

That's not to say that they don't benefit from our interaction, stimuli are a good thing in moderation.

Last edited:
He seems to be doing pretty good. His bubble nest is half inch above water inch wide and two long... I've never tried to breed labyrinth fish before so I don't know what a good size would be for a nest...

Back
Top Bottom