Betta behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBeaumont

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought my betta about 8 months ago believing that it was a female. Since then it has become beautifully coloured with lovely flowing fins so I now believe that "she" is a actually a "he".
In my tank I have a corner filter and my betta seems to like getting "stuck" to the water intake on the filter. He goes right up to it and fans his fins out and stays against it for ages. Is this normal betta behaviour? And does anyone know why he does this?

Can you put up a picture and no that's not normal try getting a less strong filter or put it in a place where he can't get to it

Lots of bettas do this. The voluntarily stick themselves up on the filter and stay there. It's not like they can't get away either. Maybe stick a net next to him to see if he can run away easily.

He does it voluntarily. He can get away if he wants to and the filter isn't sucking him in our anything like that. I just wondered if it was normal behaviour or if he was doing it as a result of some kind of stress! I'm glad he's not the only one that does it!

My beta used to do this all the time, just get a fluval filter cover and he'll stop :)

He is just being lazy. Try getting some more decorations for him to lounge around on.

My betta enjoys doing this as well. It scared me terribly the first time I witnessed it. I tapped at him, and he looked at me, but stayed put. I was in the process of ripping the good off when he darted away and gave me the infamous betta stink eye.

He still does it from time to time, even though he has plenty of plants and a hammock to rest on.

They are such odd little fish.

Back
Top Bottom