Betta Being Niped at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
What kit was used? I would change the water ASAP. There shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrite in a cycled tank.

+1 on that.

With 50% changes it will take quite a while to lower those limits.

Try doing a couple of 80% changes over the course of a day.

Keep us posted

He looks worse then he did yesterday.. :(

3dmvm.jpg

I got a few Bettas in bowls all over my room I only tank em to nurse em or get them breed ready because the other fish love their tails I had goldfish that attacked em for the worm looking tails. You'll need a floating breeder for when you tank em otherwise they're only gonna last a week

That's most definitely fin rot. Most likely brought on by bad water quality while he was in the cup at the store. (darn those cups!!) Purchase some aquarium salt and dose his tank. 1 flat tablespoon per 5 gallons. Dissolve it in a container of tank water and add slowly over a couple of days. When you do a water change you will need to replace what you removed. So if you remove 5 gallons of tank water add 1 tablespoon back in with the fresh water. Pristine water will be needed to help him heal so plenty of water changes. If he continues to deteriorate we may have to consider medication.

EMD1 said:
I got a few Bettas in bowls all over my room I only tank em to nurse em or get them breed ready because the other fish love their tails I had goldfish that attacked em for the worm looking tails. You'll need a floating breeder for when you tank em otherwise they're only gonna last a week

There have been many people who successfully keep bettas in their community tanks. I've had a betta in a tank in the past and currently have a female in one setup and a male in another.
It depends on the personality of the betta. There are a lot of times it won't work but it's not an absolute that they won't last.
In my personal experience it hasn't been other fish nipping at the betta.. It's been the betta nipping at the other fancy tailed or fast moving fish..

I also have bettas in community tanks. A female in a 17g and a male in a 10g. It really depends on the personality of the fish. You have to keep them with peaceful non nippy fish and nothing that reminds them of another Betta.

No, Betta, from what I know do better in tanks then bowls, depending on what fish its with and its personality. And if I did have him in a bowl, it would be freezing cold water, and my cat would drink all the water.

That's most definitely fin rot. Most likely brought on by bad water quality while he was in the cup at the store. (darn those cups!!) Purchase some aquarium salt and dose his tank. 1 flat tablespoon per 5 gallons. Dissolve it in a container of tank water and add slowly over a couple of days. When you do a water change you will need to replace what you removed. So if you remove 5 gallons of tank water add 1 tablespoon back in with the fresh water. Pristine water will be needed to help him heal so plenty of water changes. If he continues to deteriorate we may have to consider medication.

>.< cups... But ya, will see about the salt, I do have fin rot treatment at the ready if I need to.

Zebra Danios are very nippy, they started nipping at my gourami, so I Re-homed them to a 100 gallon at my school... Nipped fins are not cool, and I bet it is the danios...Good luck

Back
Top Bottom