betta buddy prob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello hello! im new to this site. A lil less than 2 days ago I purchased a 2 gallon starter kit and a male betta for it, i spoke to the salesman in the store because my lil bro(12 yrs) wanted a fish for it too. the man pointed out fish that would be fine 4 the tank, so he picked from the bunch a black tetra. at first they seemed fine, but the next morning i woke up to find what looked like the black tetra head butting my betta. then i looked for a minute than i noticed he was nipping at my bettas fins. i removed him from the tank and placed him in a plastic 2L bottel(just a temp till i can go intown and get a new tank :cry: :cry: ) he looks much happier and is not hiding in the corner, he is swimming and everything but....... he doesn't seem to be eating. i've tried him on tropical fish flakes, and gold fish flakes(the salesman said he may eat it) but nothing, not even a nibble. what i cant figure out is is it the food or is he still stressed from the tail nipping??? and if it is the food will he eat freez dry red grubs :?: and is it safe :?: PLZZZ help me i you can.

also i know the plastic bottle isnt good so i have a slightly larger glass container i once kept my old fish in when i changed there tank. would this be better? or will all the moving be to stressful???

Hi tamtam and welcome to Aquarium Advice!

So, you found out that bettas and tetras don't get along! I've seen a betta in with a school of tetras before, and the betta had to be moved. Tetras are schooling fish, and they would prefer to be in groups of at least 6. Bettas, IME, prefer to be by themself, although some people on here have had success with bettas in community tanks. These tanks are bigger than what you have -- they are probably about 20 to 30 gallons.

If I were you, I would just take the tetra back. It won't be happy by itself, and it can't get along with the betta. The betta would be ok in the 2 gallon starter kit, although there are much better ways to keep a betta! Do some searches in the Freshwater forums to read some of the betta posts.

As to why he's not eating, many new fish don't eat right away. It takes them some time to get used to their new surroundings. Bettas don't usually eat flakes (can't believe the salesclerk said he might eat the goldfish flakes :roll: ). The betta may still be a bit stressed from the tatra, but it's not unheard of for a betta, or any new fish, to not eat right away. My betta didn't eat for 8 days when he was new, and he's fine!

Some foods that bettas like are Hikari Betta Gold pellets, freeze-dried bloodwoms and daphnia (I like the Hikari brand, and they aren't bad to touch!), or frozen bloodworms -- again, I like the Hikari brand. Keep trying to feed him every day, and he will get used to the food. Feed once, oor twice a day, but very sparingly. I give 4 pellets in the morning, and then 4 bloodworms in the evening. But I would recommend that you feed once a day only, since he's in a small tank. Too much food can create too much wastes in a small tank.

For your last question, usually people leave the fish in the tank while they're doing a water change. I wouldn't recommend a small glass container that you can pick up easily, just because it may slip and break. Water changes tend to get messy!! Too much water on the counter, if you're trying to handle the glass container, could result in an accident.

Good luck with your new betta!

thank u 4 the advice. and about the bringing back the teta. i kinda cant cause it is my little brothers, we just planned on buying more for that tank and getting the betta a new tank, pobably a 3 gallon cause there is a sale on them for 20 bucks each.

thank u 4 the advice. and about the bringing back the teta. i kinda cant cause it is my little brothers, we just planned on buying more for that tank and getting the betta a new tank, pobably a 3 gallon cause there is a sale on them for 20 bucks each.

A betta would be happy in a 3 gallon tank. Does it have a filter? Just be sure that the water movement is not fast. Bettas don't like fast-moving water.

I don't know about more tetras in the 2 gallon tank, though. I have never had tetras, but I don't think they would do well in there. Why don't you see what else your brother would like that would be a better match for the 2 gallon tank? I have seen dwarf frogs. They are about a half inch long, and they are very cute. I have never had the frogs either, but that may be something that your brother would like that would be ok in the tank. If you want to ask about the frogs, you should post your question in the Freshwater forums. Good luck!

i was looking at the frogs in another petstore but i dont buy from that store cause they are cruel to their animals some of the tanks are so dirty u cant see the back of them, and they leave the dead fish and frogs in the tanks and even some of the fish will get left thee and they get sucked into the filters and are left to rot it in the empty tanks, also the store where we baught the fish from... I dont think the ill take the fish back. there policy is 48hours if the fish has died. We are getting another tank soon, it will be much larger than this. it's just a matter of a week or so. We plan to get the other fish when we get the tank. This is not m forst time owning fish but m firt experience with a black tetra and a betta. Ive had neon tetras sharks goldish lots of fish just never these so Im a lil lost. :oops: but thank u very much for the help, i was getting a lil scared that he wasn't eating. I think next time i in town i'll by better food still. See i live quite a ways from the city and do not go in very often. But i will go in beoe te end of the week prolly and pick some stuff up then.

I'm glad to hear you're getting a bigger tank soon for some more tetras. The one you have will be glad to get some more tetra buddies. They will be much happier! It sounds like you're getting off to a good start with the betta too. He will like some freeze-dried bloodworms and betta pellets. Don't worry, he'll eat soon! He just needs a little time to get used to things.

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

first off, welcome to AA!!! :D

I'd suggest keeping the betta in the two gal and get him some plants if you don't have any because they like to rest on them (make sur ethey don't have sharp edges though because their fins are delicate). Then, if your lil brother says it is ok, take the tetra back (unless you plan on getting a 10 gal with some more tetras so they can school) and maybe go with the 3 gal you said will be on sale (or a 5 gal setup from walmart for just $10 more... comes with everything you need) and pick out some cool guppies, like the ones with the really fancy tails, but that aren't very expensive. If your little brother does find another fish he likes/wants, I'd suggest researching it first (real quick on the internet) so you can make sure the habitat is right and that way it'll live much longer and your $$ won't get flushed (ok, a bad pun, I know!). Hope this helps, and good luck :D

thank ya! my lil bro and i were lookin at fish last night and he really like the fancy guppies, but doesn't wanna get rid of his fish now(he named it) but we plan on the larger tank soon. Ill look in at walmart soon and check that out!!!! yup yup. and thanks. :D :D :D

thank ya! my lil bro and i were lookin at fish last night and he really like the fancy guppies, but doesn't wanna get rid of his fish now(he named it) but we plan on the larger tank soon. Ill look in at walmart soon and check that out!!!! yup yup. and thanks. :D :D :D

the 2 gallon will be fine for the betta as long as lighting and fitration is adequate. My Betta Loves his 2 Gallon Hex.

I dont think your tetra will last long by himself in a tiny aquarium though. either take him back, give him to a friend who has an aquarium that is sutable

im getting a new tank soon for him and getting prolly 5-8 more for him and a few fancy guppies. The challange is getting a truck or van to carry the tank here. I think i have a van for it tho. :D

You need to get a 29 Gallon then. If your seriously going to get into the whole fish hobby. You will also need a hood with a lamp, a nice Hang-on-back filter (Marineland makes some nice models) testing equipment and a heater to go along with all of your decorations. Have fun! This is the best hobby in the world. and Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help!

glad to hear things are working out. keep us posted on how everyone settles in. BTW, dont put all the fish in at once. just add 3 or 4 tetras (along with the original guy) at first and slowly build up (adding a few fish every other week), or else you may loose a lot of fish. your new tank needs to cycle for it to become a good habitat for your fish. do a search for info on cycling a tank in the freshwater forums. that will give you plenty of info. take care!

My LFS doesnt sell live food, she can barely keep any living food for any animals stocked.

How much do the pellets run for in cost??? Just curious. I wanna give him a varity of foods to choose from. :D

Back
Top Bottom