betta buddy prob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello hello! im new to this site. A lil less than 2 days ago I purchased a 2 gallon starter kit and a male betta for it, i spoke to the salesman in the store because my lil bro(12 yrs) wanted a fish for it too. the man pointed out fish that would be fine 4 the tank, so he picked from the bunch a black tetra. at first they seemed fine, but the next morning i woke up to find what looked like the black tetra head butting my betta. then i looked for a minute than i noticed he was nipping at my bettas fins. i removed him from the tank and placed him in a plastic 2L bottel(just a temp till i can go intown and get a new tank :cry: :cry: ) he looks much happier and is not hiding in the corner, he is swimming and everything but....... he doesn't seem to be eating. i've tried him on tropical fish flakes, and gold fish flakes(the salesman said he may eat it) but nothing, not even a nibble. what i cant figure out is is it the food or is he still stressed from the tail nipping??? and if it is the food will he eat freez dry red grubs :?: and is it safe :?: PLZZZ help me i you can.

also i know the plastic bottle isnt good so i have a slightly larger glass container i once kept my old fish in when i changed there tank. would this be better? or will all the moving be to stressful???

Welcome to AA! :D

Sorry about all this trouble - I'm going to move this over to the General FW forum and you will get loads more responses.

Good luck!

A lot of bettas will not eat flakes. Try betta pellets, or at least food designed for bettas. My bettas' favorite is Hikari Bio-Gold pellets. You can try the red grubs. It won't hurt him, but whether he eats it is another story. Mine sometimes does, but usually just prefers betta pellets and frozen bloodworms.
One thing you can think about is returning the tetra to the store and telling the guy it was not suitable. If they'll take it back, you could maybe get a credit for betta food or something. A 2 gal isn't really big enough for anything else anyway except the betta, and even that's pushing it. And most, if not all tetras, are schooling fish and need to be in groups. You could maybe get some shrimp or something if you want more than the betta in there, but I'm not familiar with those so someone else would need to advise. Also, I assume the tank's not cycled, so you're pretty limited there, too. Most everything needs a cycled tank to survive.
If you do eventually decide to get a bigger tank for your betta, with a filter and heater, there's lots you can add to the tank as tankmates, but you just have to avoid fin nippers, which some tetras are.
Anyway, good luck.

Aquafriend said:
A lot of bettas will not eat flakes. Try betta pellets, or at least food designed for bettas. My bettas' favorite is Hikari Bio-Gold pellets. You can try the red grubs. It won't hurt him, but whether he eats it is another story. Mine sometimes does, but usually just prefers betta pellets and frozen bloodworms.
I must have a freak of a betta then, he eats flake food, shrimp pellets, blackworms, infact he is almost as much of a pig as my mollys are.

bettas can be very picky eaters- I've had some pigs who eat anything and some who only ate bloodworms and bio-gold. Give him a few days to settle in and see if he'll start to eat. I'd get some pellets for him- goldfish food is not the best option.

well a biggerr tank and more buddys is in store for the tetra. And the betta ate a few freeze dried red grubs, which is good, he is also more active ALOT more!

It's great that he's eating. Bettas stomachs are apparantly only the size of their eye, so they don't eat much at a time. He'll do fine, I'm sure. Maybe he'll eat more of a variety once he's settled in. They do sell betta flakes if that's what you'd like to try, or the pellets.
It's great you're going to keep the tetra and get him some buddies. That'll make a nice little tank, or big tank, depending on what you end up with! :) Do I see Multiple Tank Syndrome setting in?

lol, polly. My whole family is getting into it(even my b/f) :D so its really kool!!! My dad actually wants to try and build an aquarium, ive been looking around for him and researching aquarium safe, and fish fiendly sealants. lol so we'll see how that goes. thanks

am I crazy? or didn't I post several times here with suggestions.

You decided to move the tetra to a 29 gallon along with some new tankmates??? and I gave you suggestions about what you will need to start out with?

Have I gone completely Insane??

Is this some paralle universe where i dont exsist?

ya... Im buying a new tank this building one thing is just a thing my dad wants to try out. lol.

don't get me wrong please. thats awsome. Welcome to the hobby.

I am just confused...I think I was thinking of someone else.

anyways, welcome, and have fun! its the best hobby out there.

-Matt

Subject

:) Welcome to AA :)
If you have any questions, just Aask. (lol)

It's great you chose a betta. I'm on my fourth now (bought a male and a female!) and they are absoloute pigs! They make great starting fish.
Its great about all the moving and stuff. I'm glad your dads going to make an aquarium - you'll probably end up with something massive.

I never liked Bettas untill my Girlfriend forced me to buy her one. Now I just love them. They are a great fish. very pretty and very interesting to watch. Mine just loves to swim all over his little tank and explore.

mine to hes sorta a grump somtimes tho, but hes getting better! :fadein: :D .

as 4 the tank dad is trying to make, we're thinkin along the lines of somthing about 1.5 ft wide, 3 ft long,and 1.75-2 ft high, Our only concern is presure of the front and back of the tank so we're starting small. We have pleanty of glass as my dad works for a construction company and was given a truck load of all sizes of glass. So if it doesnt work we can try try again.:D

ya!!!!! well im planning on buying one soon anyways. there is this awsome sale at my LFS, any tanks used or damaged $1.25 a gal... soooooooooo u may see why i find this partucularly appealing. I dont think i can pass this oppurrtunity up. :D :D

eh. that may or may not be a good deal.

Damaged tanks are a big no-no. I wouldn't risk it to save a few bucks. You could end up with dead fish and a big mess.

You should be able to find a good 29 gallon tank for about 30 bucks anyway.

I know damaged tanks are no good,but they have great used tanks, like they got new ttanks or their fish and are just sellin theirs er somthing like that. Where abouts can i get a 29 gal fer 30 bucks??? :?: Id love to look into that :!:

Back
Top Bottom