Betta Chasing his Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASadS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
Im kind of confused and I don't know if i should be worried. My Mustard Gas Betta, Eggplant, just started chasing his tail and flaring at it. He bit his tail once and hasn't since (He started to flare at it after he bit himself). He'll stop and the start back up again. I don't know if i should be worried or if he's just playing because he doesn't have many decorations in his tank. I just did a water change and all his levels are where the should be. Help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20181105_113039 (1).jpg
    20181105_113039 (1).jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 77
I'd probably get some decorations or plants. It's not uncommon for Bettas to attack their own tails. It can lead to fin damage then fin rot.

Mayby try some Betta toys also. Like a floating mirror or little floaty ball for it to play with. Just make sure its safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are tail biters. I had one which would routinely bite a chunk out of its tail. It eventually died, I would say earlier than it should have, though it was back before I knew more about the hobby of cycling and water testing. They always got weekly water changes of pretty much 100% and not too much food.

Poor water quality can make them agitated, aggressive and of course stressed. You can do a pwc any time he might seem that way. Or test to be sure. I think now after having more fish, a change of tank water, moving from tank to container for a big water change just might distract them a little. Maybe a mirror for occasional flaring sessions. Again maybe a distraction technique.

Maybe someone else will have a better technique to dissuade his tail biting.

Back
Top Bottom