Betta Compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LobsterParty000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i currently have a male Betta fish and would like to add more fish with it. I know that 2 male bettas may not go together but what about a male and a female? Or if not just some all around small fish or invertibrates, just somthing to add more color or motion to the tank. Thanks!
(P.S. i have a 4 gallon aquarium if that helps. No live plants.)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Aquarium Advice Mobile App

4 gallon is really too small for any additional fish with your beta. Also, it depends on his personality whether you can put anything in with him even in a bigger tank. Mine kept trying to bully the little cories I had with him.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry... To answer your other question, male bettas will attack females as well. Apparently they can only be together long enough to breed, then you have to separate them.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright thanks bro, ill take that into consideration

if you up grade to a 10 gallon ttank you can add 5 tetras or shrimp or corys

I am going to have about 4 pygmy cory cat fish with our betta soon :) Also platy fish may work! No guppies though. Anything with too much finnage or that is aggressive would be a bad idea.

Here is another great link I came across when doing my research:
Betta Tankmates | All Aquarium Info - Where to buy Garra Rufa , Doctor Fish and Other Aquatic Articles

If you add fish with him, you absolutely must have at least a 10 gallon tank!
We have a 10gallon and will have our betta and 4 pygmy cory cat fish.
Of course, if/when you decide to add other fish, please do plenty of research to make sure they will work well in the size tank you have picked out. Some fish need a lot more gallons than a lot of people realize.

Always. Ive cared for fish long enough to know to always do my research, i wouldnt stop just cause hes a betta. Thanks for the link bro, everyone here has really helped out a lot. Thanks!

Here is a list of fish I've successfully kept with 1 male betta (whom I monitored for at least 1/2 months prior)...
Platy - My Betta nemo was okay with Play tank mates as long as I didn't add them to his 10g all at once. He would get 1 platy every few days (with a re-decoration prior to avoid territorial) and I kept him with 5 platys for about 3 months. (ended up brining platys back to LFS to keep a catfish species tank instead of community)

Corydoras - I'm not sure about all species, but Nemo also briefly shared a tank with 2 Melanitous Cory (spotted).
Another Betta I keep (Lunar, male) has also shared a tank with 2 Albino Cory's for about two weeks prior to them going into there permanent home (40g catfish tank). Only thing I will advise with keeping cory's with Betta's is to make sure they don't resemble each other's colors. My two albino corys kept trying to cuddle with Lunar (an albino crowntail) and he didn't like it much. He never hurt them, but he would give them a little warning lol.

Mollys - Lunar was also kept briefly with a Dalmation Molly (for about 3 wks). I'm not sure Lunar (the betta) even knew the molly existed lol.

Hope this helps!

Always. Ive cared for fish long enough to know to always do my research, i wouldnt stop just cause hes a betta. Thanks for the link bro, everyone here has really helped out a lot. Thanks!

Glad to hear! I just like to add a little extra info because I'm never sure how experienced people are that I am talking to unless I already know somehow :)

Good luck! :D and you're welcome!

Sweet good to know there are fellow aquarists with experience. ?

Yes!

I am very grateful to her, and I pass on my knowledge whenever I can. I learn a lot here, and I do a lot of reading sometimes too.

I am so glad we didn't get that 20g we were going to originally and plunk in fish. We had no idea! And the pet stores don't really seem to know either sometimes. Shame.

Indeed it really is

Platys, shrimp, and dwarf frogs were fine with mine, but he was also in a 10 gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im seeing a trend with the 10 gallon ideal

My first betta (bruin) promptly but the tail fin off of one of the neons that first night. But I never noticed any more aggression and the tail did eventually grow back. Also, he did fine with nerite snails.

Shadow, Bruins replacement schools with the neons and ignores the snails.

I was sad to see bruin die but shadow really is a better fit in the ten gallon planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone

It all depends on the betta really. It's surprising how different their personalities can be. My old betta couldn't live with any other fish, and actually tore the tail off of a poor guppy that I tried to put with him.

My new betta lives perfectly fine with:
2 cloud tetras
1 guppy
1 oto cat
1 khuli Loach

That's true, darkwolf!
My betta just attacked a large ramshorn snail that apparently went too close to his bubblenest. The snail was just minding his own business, and Mr Betta was all like "Flare! Dash! Dart! Flare!" at him like a little bull.

That's true, darkwolf!
My betta just attacked a large ramshorn snail that apparently went too close to his bubblenest. The snail was just minding his own business, and Mr Betta was all like "Flare! Dash! Dart! Flare!" at him like a little bull.

Isn't it interesting how such a small creature can have such a huge personality? I loved both my bettas, but the newest one is definitely nicer. He loves to swim with the tetras, and play chase with the guppy. Not mean at all. My last one was fierce!

I am hoping our Betta will get along with the catfish we are going to get otherwise he will have to be exiled to a 5gallon (which is still plenty of space). Right now he is in his 10g by himself until we get them and he is loving it!

I loved watching him make bubble nests in his little 2g but I don't think he'll be able to in the 10g just coz of the current. We have it buffered to a minimum, but it's still not really conducive to making bubble nests :(

Back
Top Bottom