Betta compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would a male betta work in a 29 gallon tank with rams and 6 cherry barbs?

I know it depends on temperament of the individual Betta but in general has anyone been successful with it?

Well, I would not recommend it if it were a longer-finned variety. Barbs tend to nip the fins, this happened to my boyfriend's betta when he put him in a community that had cherry barbs.

If you have a breeding pair of rams, that might not work so well also. Bettas can be territorial as well as the rams.

Communities with bettas are always hit or miss. Just make sure to have a spare 5g just in case.

Thanks! I will probably be moving the barbs out when I rehome the pictus in my 46 gallon. I was scared they would get eaten. Would the lemon tetras be better for a betta? I have a small group of them too I could swap into the 29.

I have a spare 12 gallon tank that I could move him into if it didn't work.

I wouldn't know. I'm not much of a tetra person. I would imagine that they would still nip, but I can't say with certainty.

Good luck, though.

littlebitlarisa said:
Thanks! I will probably be moving the barbs out when I rehome the pictus in my 46 gallon. I was scared they would get eaten. Would the lemon tetras be better for a betta? I have a small group of them too I could swap into the 29.

I have a spare 12 gallon tank that I could move him into if it didn't work.

From memory lemon tetras aren't too nippy. Any tetra can be nippy if kept in too small of a school. So if you go ahead with it make sure your school is 6-8 (or more would be better) and have a back up plan if it doesn't work out. IMO you shouldn't attempt it with the barbs.

My lemon tetras are not nippy with any of their current tank mates which are angels and gourami. After really watching the barbs today the male is being really nippy with the others and my rams so a beta would not work with them at all.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom