Betta concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladycapof3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had this big guy since November 2016. Lately, he has been hanging out at the bottom of his 3 gal tank. And my son just noticed yesterday that his tail fin looks like it's twisted. He has the tank all to himself, aside from the elephant. Lol I love this big guy and want to keep him happy. Could the twisted tail fin have something to do with him hanging around the bottom?

i had this big guy since november 2016. Lately, he has been hanging out at the bottom of his 3 gal tank. And my son just noticed yesterday that his tail fin looks like it's twisted. He has the tank all to himself, aside from the elephant. Lol i love this big guy and want to keep him happy. Could the twisted tail fin have something to do with him hanging around the bottom?
20170607_214528.jpg20170607_214448.jpg20170607_214237.jpg

I had this big guy since November 2016. Lately, he has been hanging out at the bottom of his 3 gal tank. And my son just noticed yesterday that his tail fin looks like it's twisted. He has the tank all to himself, aside from the elephant. Lol I love this big guy and want to keep him happy. Could the twisted tail fin have something to do with him hanging around the bottom?

My little guy does that too but he wedges himself in between rocks
He does it wen he sleeps and it's normal for him yours might be the same way. I think he should be fine though different betas have different habits and maybe that's just one of his. If he seems to be getting worse though try a 50%water change

My little guy does that too but he wedges himself in between rocks
He does it wen he sleeps and it's normal for him yours might be the same way. I think he should be fine though different betas have different habits and maybe that's just one of his. If he seems to be getting worse though try a 50%water change

IMG_3563.jpg
Here he is sleeping

Mine does that too. Okay, he use to sleep in my plants, face dead. Several times, I thought he was dead. Thanks for your response

Kinda looks like clamp tail. I've heard it called numerous different names, but basically their tail will look pinched and much less flowy. Definitely a water change time and a little "betta fix" should do the trick in no time.

Should I do a 25% or 50% water change? And I'll pick up some betta fix today. Thanks RetiredJedi

I always do 50% changes, especially with bettas because you don't necessarily have to worry about shocking them like you do with most tropical fish. And you get results a little faster.

I see an airstone in the tank, but is it filtered or heated? Neither are entirely necessary for betta, but they do improve quality of life and help prevent illness. I've heard excellent reviews with bettafix though, so that should do the trick in no time!

I always do 50% changes, especially with bettas because you don't necessarily have to worry about shocking them like you do with most tropical fish. And you get results a little faster.

I see an airstone in the tank, but is it filtered or heated? Neither are entirely necessary for betta, but they do improve quality of life and help prevent illness. I've heard excellent reviews with bettafix though, so that should do the trick in no time!
Okay, I did the 50 % water change and added the betta fix. He is a lot more active today. Definitely already see an improvement. Filter no, heater yes.

Nice, I'm not sure what the instructions say, but I usually do a 50% water change once a week for my bettas as well as gravel vac once a month. Glad to hear he's improving!

Glad the pwc (partial water change) did him some good.

The chunky rocks will trap food and poop and mess up the water parameters. If you replace the stones with some sand perhaps and use just a few of the stones as accents here and there it will help you when you do your pwc.

Check into a small filter, there are internal filters for small sized tanks and little external ones too.

What size is the tank?

Also consider doing 1/3 up to 1/2 pwc 2 times per week. The liquid test kit would be of huge benefit to make sure that the tank parameters are staying within safe levels.

May i ask what's your water parameters? You've mentioned that you don't have a filter. I'd advice you to get one. With a heater and a filter you'd do your betta a big favor and It is important that your tank is cycled. Hope he gets better soon.

A 3 gal tank with one fish is abuse?!?!? Please elaborate.

Added a filter today.

I've been warned about going easy on the Bettafix as it contains Aloe Vera and can clog the Bettas labyrinth organ and cause it to suffocate and die. Basically it's alot like API Stress Coat. Just passing on what I've been told and have read. Plus better to be safe than sorry.

our beautiful guy developed a twisted fin early on. He lives in a 5 gal tank with a heater and a filter and i took great pains to keep his water in good condition. Aside from algae issue the water has been good and our Jean-Luc is happy and healthy but his twisted fin remains twisted. It seems to be gradually growing out. Sometimes he likes to play dead on the gravel and sometimes he likes to get stuck to the filter grate which gives me a little heart attack lol but he is happy and healthy so i stopped worrying about his twisted fin.

I never do a 50%water change , I have learned through experience that you only succeed in throwing out the good bacteria you need for a healthy tank . I wish i could post a pic of our big boy but I dont know how to post pictures . Our shares his tank with 10 danio's and 2 pepper on cory's and an too in Ulis in a 5.5 g . Only do a 25% water change

Water changes don't remove much BB, it's retained in gravel & filter media. But multiple 25% water changes is less stressful than 50% so that temp and pH don't change drastically. I don't know that bettas are particularly susceptible to that.

Back
Top Bottom