Betta confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amanda92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was reading through some threads and kept hearing about a betta fish, and I thought I knew my fish but I couldnt think what a betta, I seen some picture which looked like the siamese fighter? Is this british and american confusion? Ive never heard a fighter called a betta before. ???

Betta splendens is the same as siamese fighting fish. I'm pretty sure it's not just an American/British thing. :lol:

Betta Splendens is the scientific name for the Siamese fighting fish. The scientific name is used to avoid ambiguity which can arise when living things are referred to by their common names. Some fish will have different common names, but only one scientific name. Some common names may refer to different fish species.

Hope that answers your question :)

Amanda92 said:
I love when they get angry for nothing. So cute.

I have a betta in my community tank that I decorate the outside with garland. He would flare at it, thinking it was another betta :)

Mumma.of.two said:
In Australia they are called fighting fish. If I went into a store and asked for a Betta I'd get an odd look! I'd rather call them bettas.

Ive only just learned there called bettas haha ive alwaya known them as siamese fighters. I feel daft for not knowing...

Starka said:
I have a betta in my community tank that I decorate the outside with garland. He would flare at it, thinking it was another betta :)

That is the cutest. I kinda want them again now.

Back
Top Bottom