betta death...now what??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silvermidnight

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am shawmutts fiance. If you don't already know, my first fish croaked. It was a betta and I know that they do not have good track records but I thought I could "save" it from the pet store where they are in tiny containers and bring it to a tank where it would have room to move around and be happy. It died within two days. It must have not been healthy from the store because everything in the tank is perfect. The tank was a 5 1/2 gallon tank that shawmutt was going to use as a quarentine or nursery tank. I put a small piece of driftwood and a few java ferns. I also had a fake floating plant at the top because I read that the bettas spend their time at the top since they breathe oxygen. I also bought two corys along with the betta. I bought the betta because I had read that they were good "first fish" to have. (ha) It is still a sad loss since it was my first fish in many years. I was at college and since I moved from dorm to dorm every year I decided not to have any fish. I am not new to fish though because my dad is a biologist and growing up we had no less then six tanks running at all times. Some of my happiest memories are helping my dad with his tanks and I was so exicted when I moved in with shawmutt because I could finally start some tanks of my own and one day make my dad proud. :D
Anyways, my two corys survived and are thriving...so my question is: :?: what fish should I get? remember it is only a 51/2 gallon tank....so along with your reccomendation I would appreciate a hint as to how many I should get also... Thanks!!

Most Bettas are in those little containers... (male I am assuming) and you may want to try another betta, but only keep one male per tank.

Another way to go is Tetras.

Look around, whatever appeals to you, do research on it and see if is suitable for your tank. First of all, you can always get more corys, if you get enough to have a very small school, they will play and swim and have lots of personality. Also, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, glass fish, guppies, white clouds, and honey gouramis are all good tank mates.

My first fish were goldfish, and I have to tell you, they're a good bet. I've had mine for three years, and I think they've got to be my favourites. They're hardy (In the summer, when it gets too hot, I'll even float an ice cube in the tank (well.. one or two small cubes for a 25 gallon tank).. wouldn't suggest doing that with any other fish). You don't need a heater or anything. Awesome awesome fish.

My only word of caution is that goldfish aren't the "cleanest" fish, and I wouldn't suggest putting other types in with them. Other than that, they're my first choice for a semi-small tank. My first two grew up in a bowl for over a year.

As for the Betta, I bought two at the same time (a trend, huh?). One died within two days, and the other I still have. Pet store employees have told me that they're "fine" in those small cups. They may be able to survive, but I sincerely doubt that they're "fine".

Most pet stores don't have the best selection in animals, and frequently they're not cared for as well as they should be due to lazyness, money constraints, or lack of knowledge. Be sure to check with an employee if anything seems mildly out of place.

Based on what you said, I think the death was due to the shop, and not you. If you're still concerned, go with goldfish (one of the small-medium sized ones).

They're pretty hard to kill.

As for how many, I can't say, as I don't know what size goldfish you'll end up with, but feel free to ask a store employee. Frequently they'll tell you to get more than you need (in my experience anyway), so I'd go with one less than they say. You can always another later.

Hope I helped.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I went to the bookstore last night and picked up a book to do some research that talks not only about different types of fish but also what the common problems are of each breed so I can be prepared. In reading it though I found so many wonderful fish that I would love to have but that would not be good for a 5 1/2 gallon tank....so allow me to change the famous line from JAWS into something cheesy yet appropriate...."we are going to need a bigger tank" :lol:
Thanks Again, and I am sure I will have questions as I set up my new tank...

I have a betta at work, I have had him just a little under three years. He was given to me as a birthday present "fish in a dish" thingy with the plant on top.

The original Vase was small, I upgraded to a two gallon and he is thriving.

I have a 6 gallon tank that houses a beta, a small african frog, and some neon tetras. I've had it for about a year and it is great. It's been really easy to take care of; no problems. About once a month I change maybe 1/3 of the water.

Back
Top Bottom