Betta died from ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maz71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small 7 litre betta haven and had very high amonia reading once I put one betta in. He lasted 2 weeks but has now died. Do I keep doing water changes until amonia has completely gone then try again? Any advice appreciated!

Have you cycled the tank?
Does it have a filter (or at least some sort of water movement) and a heater?

Yes. It has a carbon filter and heater. I had the tank for 3 weeks and used bio stuff and tap water treatment. The shop tested the water and I had slight amonia so I waited a week and they retested and it was ok. I have my own test kit now and it’s been really high. I’ve done 50% water change last 4 days but there was still some amonia. Poor chap didn’t stand a chance! I’ve removed him and done 50% water change but not sure what to do. Some people say to put food in the tank to cycle it but not sure.

Stop the water changes leaving about 2-3 ppm ammonia in tank . Let sit and test ammonia everyday till it drops to zero . Search the web and here for fishless cycling to see how to proceed .

Back
Top Bottom