betta does not like filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my betta prefers to have filter off.

although current doesn't seem strong, he seems to get moved around by it. i've tried everything to slow it down. even put in plants to block some of the current.

is it okay to leave filter off completely and do 10% water changes every day? or should i turn it on 50% of the time (e.g. at night only?)

thanks for any advice you can share.

Hi there!

Ever consider using a sponge filter? My 10g Betta/RCS tank is driven by a sponge filter ran off an air pump. Bit of an eye sore but my Betta & shrimp have never been happier :)

I too use a sponge filter. Found a good double sponge one off amazon and my betta/shrimp seem happy. If you are looking to keep your current filter I suggest putting a piece of a soda bottle under the return of your filter to change it's flow. I saw another member had tried it and gave it a go myself, because my fish avoided the area where the return was. You take a bottle, a 2 liter in my case because I used it on a 50g, cut out a half of the bottle making a half cylinder. Make it as wide or a bit wider than the return flow. Then stick it so half is under your filter and stays put. The other half will divert the flow, slowing it a bit. I would use a smaller bottle than a 2 liter if your tank is small though. It may be unsightly at first, but I don't really notice mine now. Hope it helps

If its a new tank give him a chance to get used to it. As long as there are areas he can rest, without strong current he should be fine.

My last Veiltail Betta loved to swim IN the currant of my filter. He 'd play for awhile then rest on the plants. He became a fairly strong swimmer. It was my rimless 10g so he had plenty of quiet water if he wanted it.

I recommend Aquaclear HOBs because Yoi can adjust flow or RedSea Nano filters, as they also have flow adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom