betta doesn't make bubble nest in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boothbrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I'm expanding into this hobby, I picked up a 10g tank and automatically transferred my male batta fish over.

He made bubble nests quite often in the 2.5g tank but doesn't make one at all in the 10g.

So what do you think is wrong?

I'm still tryin to get the right decor for this new tank so is it just a matter of placing the right items in there? eg,- floating plant, large rock, etc.?

There's not a lot of current to the sides of the tank so he has room. Maybe he needs some sort of "anchor"? I remember reading about styrofoam cups for a betta. How does this work for a male betta?

thanks! :)

Bettas build bubble nests when they are happy and content. I'm not saying he isn't happy in the new tank, but that is quite a change for a little fish. How long has he been in the new tank? He may need some time to acclimate. He may also feel too much out in the open if you haven't finished putting the decor yet.

My betta is in a 5.5 gallon, and I have 4 medium (about 7 inches high) silk plants in there, and 3 foreground plants. He loves to hide in them. You could put probably 9 inch plants in your tank. Be careful with plastic plants -- they could snag the betta's delicate fins. I had a very pretty anacharis plastic plant in there, and mine snagged his bottom fin all the way in half (2 pieces). I also put a plain blue background on the back of the tank.

My lfs told me about the paper cup too-- you cut it top to bottom (not side to side) and float it in the water or tape it to the back or side of the tank, and that gives them a place to make their nest. I haven't tried it yet.

My betta built lots of nests before, but in the last few months he hasn't. I may try the paper cup -- I miss the nests! I'm wondering if they stop building the nests as they get older?

Expanding on An t-iasg's post, if there is too much current in the tank, the nest may always be destroyed before he really gets into it. This is where the silk or live plants, decorations and paper cup come into play that An t-iasg was talking about.

Thanks for the replies.

The betta's been there for 2 weeks now. I'll try the 7" or 9" plants because my tank is still pretty barren.

Another question- whenever he starts building a nest, will he continue to do so when I'll introduce some tank mates? Or will he be "unhappy"

It really depends on his tankmates. Do some research before adding new fish. Bettas get along with a lot of fish. Gouramis be careful for...they can go either way...also, fish with long, flowy fins like a betta's, may not be a good idea...they may feel threatened.

if there is any current on the top of the tank, try making a loop with a piece of airline, joined with a tee piece and fix the tee piece to a sucker. you can then anchor the ring any where you want in the tank.

I tried this with good results.

lol

Oh excellent idea allan.

I've a betta in a 2 1/2 bowl type tank at work. I filter the tank as I'm not there over the weekends and don't want to take a chance on an ammonia spike. Thing is, even with the smallest air pump for the lil filter, theres a lot of surface agitation; too much for a bubble nest. I tried adding some plastic plants to reduce some of the movement but its not making a diff. I'll have to try your airline tubing idea!

Back
Top Bottom