Betta feeding behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all. Since I'm new to Betta ownership I'm not sure if my guy is acting right. When I feed (Nutrafin Max Betta flakes) he readily goes after it. But then he spits most of it out. Then he follows the sinking flakes and picks some off the bottom. It just appears that he doesn't swallow much at all. He seems energetic and healthy otherwise. Is this normal?
Thanks!

How often and how much do you feed? Also, is it a filtered/heated tank? About how many gallons? How long have you had him? Has he had any recent sicknesses?

Don't let him sucker you into giving him all kinds of food because you're worried he's not eating. Bettas have a reputation for pretending they don't like food which makes their keepers overfeed them. Silly fish.

Get a good quality betta pellet and feed once a day. I actually feed my fish every other day.

His stomach is the size of one eye, so feed accordingly. ;)

I've had him for a week tomorrow. For now he's in a 2 gal. heated bowl with 100% water change every 3rd day. Later he's going in my 45gal. I've fed him a tiny pinch of flakes once a day and fasted him 1 day.

What do you have in your 45? Not all bettas are good candidates for community tanks.

Nothing yet. It's still cycling. If he doesn't play nice I'll get him his own tank. Thanks.

I have several females and one male in various tanks. The male refuses to eat anything but the flakes. No one likes the pellets, and the females love love love the freeze dried brine shrimp. (so does my cat who comes around whenever I feed them). Everybody likes the bloodworms.

LyndaB- is a 100% water change that often necessary? In my research I've heard both partial water changes each week and weekly 100% water changes recommended. What say you? I do something in between those two.

In this case, 100% is necessary, as it's an unfiltered bowl.

Under normal circumstances, with an established tank with a good filter, I suggest 50% weekly.

I have a halfmoon in a filtered/heated 2.5 gallon. I do about a 50-70% water change once a day or every two days. He is eventually moving into a 6.

The thing about bettas is finrot... Finrot! You just really don't want to end up with it, because it can turn out to be difficult to get rid of, and your beautiful betta is suddenly no longer so.

Go with a good betta pellet such as NLS or Hikari. You'll hear conflicting info on which causes bloat..flake or pellets..but in my experience it's flake. I'd stick to pellets (usually 3 a day for a full grown betta) as staple with frozen foods as a supplement.

Back
Top Bottom