betta female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was stupid and bought a female betta on a whim for my male betta. After a day of having her in a bowl next to his tank (he was displaying at her etc) I let her in the tank with him. He beat her up and ripped her fins apart and didn't mate as far as I know. The bubble next fell apart and he kept harassing her so now she's in her bowl again with some betta medication for fin repair. Once she's ok {after her quarantine) will she be ok with mollies and corycats?

It's very important to provide plenty of hiding places for a female betta when placing it in with a female. It's also necessary to make sure that she's showing signs that she receptive to breeding (can't remember which way the stripes are supposed to go) before adding her, not just him building the nest.

She may or may not do well with the mollies. I'd be prepared to provide her with her own home if things don't work out.

The tank with the male betta is filled with hiding places (its my natural planted 5 gallon), but I guess he just didn't like her or whatever. I dont plan to try and mate them again, and for now she's fine in her own fishbowl with some java moss.

You definitely need to fatten her up first with brine shrimp or blood worms. She will get vertical stripes across her abdomen when she is ready. Once they are re-introduced he should maintain the nest. Make sure there is no filter or anything disturbing the surface and get ready to remove her once they mate.

Back
Top Bottom