betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommy.l

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a male and a female betta in a 10 gallon tank I've got it all set up and their fine I just want to know what I can do or put in the tank to male them happier

If you want the female to survive and don't plan on separating them then you will need lots of hiding places and lots of plants (fake or real) to break line of sight. Careful of plastic fake plants, they can tear their fins on them. I'd go with silk plants or real.

If you want the female to survive and don't plan on separating them then you will need lots of hiding places and lots of plants (fake or real) to break line of sight. Careful of plastic fake plants, they can tear their fins on them. I'd go with silk plants or real.

+1 otherwise 1 will die

Welcome to AA!

I would put a divider in the tank, and avoid any other tankmates. A male and a female living together long term isn't the best idea. Even if it works for some time, often things turn violent. I would recommend only keeping them together when they've been conditioned to breed, and then seperating them immediately afterward.

siva said:
Welcome to AA!

I would put a divider in the tank, and avoid any other tankmates. A male and a female living together long term isn't the best idea. Even if it works for some time, often things turn violent. I would recommend only keeping them together when they've been conditioned to breed, and then seperating them immediately afterward.

+1
It is not recommended to keep two bettas of any sex combination in the same tank.
Is your tank cycled?

Bettas not only breathe through their gills, but also by coming to the surface and breathing through their labyrinth organ. Because of this, the bubble strips aren't necessary, and may make swimming more difficult for them, especially the male. Your plans, if live, will also do better without the bubblers. A standard HOB (hang on back) style filter that would usually come with a 10 gal tank will provide enough surface agitation to adequately oxygenate the water. You don't necessarily have to remove them, but in this scenario, I would.

Unfortunately 2 plants will not provide enough cover for the fish. The tank should be heavily planted and/or have lots of decor so they can stay out of the eachothers site when necessary. Tall plants and floating plans would be good, since they are surface breathers.

What do you mean cycled???.....I'm new to having fish...I had the male in the same tank with the female for about 2 months then I took out the divider a couple days ago and theve been fine the male flared up for about 30 min when I took it out but that's all that they've done to each other

+1 otherwise 1 will die

the female will die, not the male. i would suggest that you rehome 1 of them or get them in separate tanks. they may seem fine but im pretty sure if you ask anyone on here,,, 2 same sex bettas in the same tank is a big NO NO. unless interaction is limited to breeding, then removed.

- In my opinion, the only way they could possibly survive is if you made a jungle of plants in your tank

I disagree. I think the female is just as likely to kill the male, especially after breeding. Females can get really nasty with males.

I personally have not heard of females killing males, but i defiantly think that it is possible and yes after breeding i agree would be a possibility for it to happen.. i do not have tons of experience with this. just personally i have heard of more male aggression towards females rather than the other way around

tommy.l said:
What do you mean cycled???.....I'm new to having fish...I had the male in the same tank with the female for about 2 months then I took out the divider a couple days ago and theve been fine the male flared up for about 30 min when I took it out but that's all that they've done to each other

Hi,

As in you fish-in or fish less cycled the tank....did you not do either? If so, then give these a read:
1.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
2.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Oh...I did fish in.....I just didnt know there was a term for it

Back
Top Bottom