Betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggysmalls

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I have two boy betta fish, both in separate tanks. I haven't had them for a week, maybe 5 days. I had small tanks, well vase and I bought a new tank. I filled the tank with tap water and added my conditioner to the water so it would dechlorinate it and then add them to the water slowly.
I'm very new to this.
Do I need to cycle my water every time?
And could someone explain the process. I don't want to accidentally kill my fish and I want to clean their tank correctly.
If any one has some advice it would help a lot.
Thank you.

:welcome:

I love bettas -- good choice! Since you're new to aquaria, I'd recommend reading this article: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Your pets need a filter that's "cycled" - filled with beneficial bacteria, the kind that turn ammonia to nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. I think sponge filters are best with bettas, especially the long-tailed varieties that have more trouble with flow.

As for cleaning, you'll want to give your bettas weekly water changes (always use dechlorinator! I like Prime) You'll want heaters in your tanks, too: bettas do best at 79-80 degrees. No need to clean the decor every time, but the siphon you use for water changes will also let you vacuum the gravel.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom