Betta fish being lethargic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Melafilix never saved a fish for me yet. I try to avoid medication unless I am reasonably sure of the diagnosis.

Melafilix never saved a fish for me yet. I try to avoid medication unless I am reasonably sure of the diagnosis.
To be honest, I am now starting to think its constipation, as I haven't seen the fish defecate lately.... should I just try to fast him for a bit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

To be honest, I am now starting to think its constipation, as I haven't seen the fish defecate lately.... should I just try to fast him for a bit?

I have heard people say some fish have a weak intestinal system and they can over eat and get bulged out and can't move. Do you see any bulging? You could try not feeding him for a few days.

I have heard people say some fish have a weak intestinal system and they can over eat and get bulged out and can't move. Do you see any bulging? You could try not feeding him for a few days.
He looks a little bulged yes, but the main thing I see is discoloration and being lethargic. I will admittedly say that I have made the mistake of feeding him flake food for a while, I'm thinking this can be the problem. I do have freezedried bloodworms now which I will feed him instead. I also have daphnia coming in the mail tomorrow that I might try to give him

Can you get us a picture? It makes it much easier to identify disease and such. If it were nitrite poisoning It would have passed by now. The stuffed tummy theory is still possible but I think it could be more serious. It is interesting he still eats. Many fish stop eating when they are sick. Not really sure what to think here.

uploadfromtaptalk1440637508313.jpg

I apologize for the sidwats picture, that tends to happen on mobile. But this is the betta as of late

uploadfromtaptalk1440637673638.jpg
I also found this in the tank. I cannot tell if it is fecal matter, a worm or parasite of sorts, or - worst case scenario - a part of the fish. If it is fecal matter, then wouldn't that mean the fish is not constipated?

I think it could be bacterial too. Maybe a serious case of fin rot. I like Kanaplex from Seachem. You might also try medicated food. I am not an expert on diagnosing so maybe the others will recognize this.

For fin rot in my bettas I use lots of fresh clean water. Changed daily and I use Indian Almond leaves but there is no scientific research that it works. Supposedly the leaves have anti bacterial effects. They will reduce ph though. May I ask what temp you are keeping him at? Bettas need to be at about 80-82 for optimal health in my opinion and experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately, I lost the betta this morning. The tank temperature was at 79 though. Thank you guys for your help regardless. At the very least I have learned a little about diseases if I own another betta in the future

Back
Top Bottom