Betta fish/heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a great idea for those kids! I wish someone would have taught me the proper way to care for fish when i was young.

Thanks a lot for everyone's advice here! I will definitely start up a thread when i start to clean up that old tank! It won't be until after April 25th since that is my last final.

Actually i have one last question for you guys. Water, what are the requirements for FW? Anything special? We have ro/di water, but that removes everythinggg and since there isn't salt being added to balance out all the levels, how does it work? Would i need to add anything to it? Or does tap water work absolutely fine?

Tap water is fine. Just use de-chlor. If you used RO/DI you would have to add stuff to it.

Oh okay cool thanks, my tap water is from sandpoint and sometimes from a well (switch back and forth sometimes). I don't think we chlorinate our water, but I'm unsure. I will ask my dad when he gets home from work. It is also high in alkalinity/hardness i think, is that fine?

tape water is fine, i would use Prime for de chlor. our tap water is quite hard as well, most fresh water fish will have no problem adjusting. if you're really worried about it, add some driftwood to your tank, the tannins will lower the pH. if you are turned off by the color of the tannins (they color your tank water like tea) you can run activated carbon in your filter, it removes the color from the tannins.

i would use Prime anyway. it gets rid of chlorine AND chloramines, which is important. can't be too careful

No chlorine or chloramine? I would always use prime..it's really not worth the risk IMO.

No chlorine or chloramine? I would always use prime..it's really not worth the risk IMO.

nope nothing is added, comes straight from the ground.

Do you guys add the prime and let the water mix/sit overnight then? Or can you just mix it up right before a water change?

in my tank that I use buckets to fill, I add the Prime to the first bucket right before it goes in. my other tank I use the sink hose to fill, and I just add the Prime straight to the tank as I start to fill it. I use enough prime to treat the whole tank, not just the water I'm adding back in.

If you are still thinking about putting the betta in the bathroom, beware, don't ever ever ever use cleaning supplies or air freshener. :( Sorry if that was mentioned already.

Back
Top Bottom