Betta Fish Sleeping on Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landon_garcia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone my 3 female veil tale betas have been sleeping on the filter. I have no clue what this means and if its good or bad.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394073671.422164.jpg Heres a picture of one of my betas doing it. When i shake the filter they wake up and swim like normal. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394073985.041347.jpg
I have low nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. My ph is about 7.5. I also have an African Dwarf Frog in the tank as well. I just caught my other betta doing it again!

I use those little test strips and the colour is almost the same as the zero marker on the test sheet.

Are you able to get an API Master Test kit? They are 20$ on ebay or Amazon
Those test strips give false readings

No problem. We'll I have seen bettas sleep on the intake but if they are swimming by and it pulls them in, there is something wrong. I would honestly start with a wc because your tank looks a bit cloudy

Your betta isn't sleeping on the intake its being sucked onto it, which means it is for some reason growing weak. Did you cycle the tank?

They look like they're getting sucked by the filter.put a plant infront of the filter and that should fix the problem

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know they aren't getting sucked up by the filter i watch them swim right next to it all the time they only go on at night when the lights are off.

Out of my 13 (? Lost count) bettas only one of mine does this purposly. I took every precaution to make sure something wasn't wrong just in case, just turned out that's what he does when he's bored. Try using a filter sponge, because I find it odd that 3 bettas are doing it at once. Your suction might be too strong.

Out of my 13 (? Lost count) bettas only one of mine does this purposly. I took every precaution to make sure something wasn't wrong just in case, just turned out that's what he does when he's bored. Try using a filter sponge, because I find it odd that 3 bettas are doing it at once. Your suction might be too strong.

I agree that the suction/flow rate may be too strong in the tank. My betta did this sometimes but he always pulled away when I came in to the room. We need to get reliable water parameters first.

Ok thanks everyone ill work on the water parameters. Im not that concerned they aren't really getting hurt by it. They are eating just fine and swim around like happy little bettas!

Back
Top Bottom