Betta gender mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
I have a 10 gallon cycled tank that I am stocking and it currently has a male betta as a centerpiece fish. There are 2 zebra nerite snails and I would like a small school of ember tetras. Does anybody have an opinion on whether or not it would be a good idea to add a female betta as well? Is it better to add 2 females? I don't think I have the space for that.
Thanks.
Also, any ideas about bottom feeders or algae eaters for the set-up? Since the tank is only 10 gallons, I thought I would stick with the snails unless anybody has a better idea.
Thanks.

I would only get one female, betta sororities usually end up as disasters for most people.
The only bottom feeder that could fit in there is possibly pygmy cories but that could be overstocking your tank, you could try some more snails or shrimp.

The embers will be fine, do not add the female, he will look at her as an intruder and there very well may be conflict.

I would only get one female, betta sororities usually end up as disasters for most people.
The only bottom feeder that could fit in there is possibly pygmy cories but that could be overstocking your tank, you could try some more snails or shrimp.
:thanks:
I like pygmy cories, but they are not available near me, so I would have to order them. I really like snails though, I so am happy to stick with them. What sort of shrimp do you recommend? I have kept ghosts and bamboo shrimp, bamboo need more than 10 gallons, but would ghosts be ok or would they get eaten by the betta?

I would go with amanos, they get big. Any shrimp that is small and can fit in the bettas mouth will most likely get eaten or injured by the betta. Some people have even had trouble keeping amanos with bettas hoewver.

The embers will be fine, do not add the female, he will look at her as an intruder and there very well may be conflict.
:thanks: Ok. For future reference, what size tank would be ok for a male and female betta? I am new to bettas in a community. I have heard that some breeders only put the genders together for breeding time and then separate them again. Do you think that is a better approach?

I would go with amanos, they get big. Any shrimp that is small and can fit in the bettas mouth will most likely get eaten or injured by the betta. Some people have even had trouble keeping amanos with bettas hoewver.
How many amanos could go in a 10 gallon tank with the betta and embers?

The biggest sized tank possible that is heavily planted. Male and females are not a good idea, it should only be a temporary thing because males are known to kill females.

From everything I've read up on, Oto cats would be best for algae, but from personal experience the cory cats are great. The pygmy cory cats would be best since you only have a ten gallon. Also since you only have a ten gallon take into consideration what overstocking might do and how many inches of fish you should have max. I didn't do a ton of research before I ended up with cories, but I have a male double tail Beta with two juli cories and a spotted cory. For my set up, that is max inches of fish for my ten gallon. (Btw the Beta is very entertained by the cory cats, they all get along fine, no biting, no territorial mentality because Betas are top dwellers and having bottom dwellers don't pose a threat.) Off of that same rule though you could go for Oto cats, which are great for algae but often times there isn't enough algae in a tank to keep Otos fed. As far as introduction with my fish though, I added my cory cats first, then later introduced my Beta. Territory establishment and all that, I did it mostly for the better safe than sorry side.

Alright, just making sure. It is not the best rule and should only be taken for a rough estimate. The best way to stock is to take into consideration a number of factors: compatibility, adult size, swim room, filtration, etc.

If you are deadset on two bettas, separate the tank into halves with a divider, preferably not see through. That way you don't end up with a dead betta...

If you are deadset on two bettas, separate the tank into halves with a divider, preferably not see through. That way you don't end up with a dead betta...
No, I am not set on it. I have heard some mixed advice in the past about it and I just want to make sure I do the right thing. I definitely DO NOT want dead fish. Thanks for the advice. :dance:

No problem! With bettas it's basically this:
Never more than one, sex doesn't matter.
People have done female sororities of 6 or more females only in at least a 29 gal or larger. It helps make sure then weakest is not picked on incessantly.

No problem! With bettas it's basically this:
Never more than one, sex doesn't matter.
People have done female sororities of 6 or more females only in at least a 29 gal or larger. It helps make sure then weakest is not picked on incessantly.
You seem knowledgeable about bettas and, if you don't mind, I have a couple more questions. What is the minimum tank size you would recomend for keeping a single betta in? Is it true that bettas will be aggressive with different species of fish with similar coloration? For example, would a betta be aggressive toward a dwarf gourami or a male guppy?

Back
Top Bottom