Betta, german blue ram, cherry barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyjenni

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have a 29 gallon stocked like this:

3 zebra danio's
2 panda platy's
2 variatus platy's
2 spotted cory's (will be adding 2 more)
1 german blue ram

My question is can I add a male betta and a school of cherry barbs? Will all coexist? I've tried to do research on how rams, cherry barbs, and bettas get along but all are very conflicting so I'm asking for your input.

Barbs and betta are generally a no
Bettas and rams are high risk in a tank that size
Rams and barbs.... I would be suspicious, but rams can generally handle themselves.

You wont have to worry about cherry barbs ... they are small peaceful barbs, they don't bother anyone.

IME I kept cherry barbs, GBRs, and a Female betta all in the same tank. However keep in mind this doesn't work for everyone. I lucked out because a) my fish were all nice and peaceful, and b) large tank and fairly heavily planted, around 40 gallons too.

If I were you, I I would also add to the danio school to get them to the proper base school of 6.
Some bettas do well in communities, so do not. It depends on the individual betta.
I would imagine cherry barbs should be ok in your present set-up, they are much more chill than some other barb species. If you want to try the betta, he should be added last anyways so he doesn't get angry at new fish for ebing in his pre-established territory. :)

ok I plan on going to the lfs today to get 2 more cory's and 3 more danios. Could I also get cherry barbs or would that be to many fish at one time? Also how many cherries should I get? I was thinking 5 or 6, they like to loosly school dont they? After about a week I will try adding a betta and see how it works out.

ok I plan on going to the lfs today to get 2 more cory's and 3 more danios. Could I also get cherry barbs or would that be to many fish at one time? Also how many cherries should I get? I was thinking 5 or 6, they like to loosly school dont they? After about a week I will try adding a betta and see how it works out.

In my personal opinion, if you add the cories and danios at the same time I would wait a week or two to add the cherry barbs. I have also kept cherry barbs w/rams, angels, rainbowfish and had no problems. They do like to school loosely and I would reccomend 5 or 6 with at least 2 females to get the males to show their best. Good luck and enjoy - I loved my cherry barbs!

If you choose to add a betta to this community, please be sure to have a back up system, as quite often bettas don't do well with other fish.

IMO, adding the cherries as well as these other fish would be too much bioload at a time. I definitely suggest getting the corys/danios first, and then waiting on the barbs. Also, once you add the other fish you will have a better idea of how full you want the tank to be.
I agree with Lynda that a back-up plan for the betta is a necessity. :)

Back
Top Bottom