betta help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have been looking at bettas for a really long time now and I have grown quite fond of them and I want one!!! I want a white one to be specific but here is the problem,
I have a 40g tank and its currently stocked with 8 neon tetras and a handful of ghost shrimp( these little guys are all over the tank)

So will these be compatible with a nice Betta

o.jonathan.o said:
So I have been looking at bettas for a really long time now and I have grown quite fond of them and I want one!!! I want a white one to be specific but here is the problem,
I have a 40g tank and its currently stocked with 8 neon tetras and a handful of ghost shrimp( these little guys are all over the tank)

So will these be compatible with a nice Betta

I have 2 betta's in 2 different community tanks and try both do fine. It just depends on your betta's temperament! My one hates small fish and the other thinks he's a small fish!!! They the one that think's he's a small fish lives with ghost shrimp endlers and a platy in a 10g. And everyone is happy! But be careful with them!

o.jonathan.o said:
Where do bettas normally swim. Like top middle or bottom

Mine usually hang out most of the day at the top, then they occasionally swim to the bottom and stay there for about 5-15 minutes at a time. They also sometimes swim along the corner of a tank.

Have a back up plan, the minimum being a cycled 5 gallon for the betta to go into.

I have a backup cycled 10g tank with no inhaditants and would a male and female work together

No, bettas are not like many other spawning species, which can be kept together. The male and female need separate tanks, or they will kill each other. They can only be brought together for a short time during actual spawning and then the female is removed again.

Okay well I might put a betta in my 40g with my neons and ghost shrimp and pleco

Sounds like he will be one happy betta fish. My betta is about to move to a 10g. I have been cycling it for 3 days and I'm already at a nitrIte spike.

Yeah unless it decides to cause a problem. Which is more calm a male or female

Males can be in a community tank, just try it out. Some betta's are more aggressive than others. For instance, my betta killed two ghost shrimp he lives with, but doesn't hurt the ADF's. Others bettas don't kill the ghost shrimp they live with. I think it's just the attitude of the betta himself.

The one thing i've been told is that they like to be the centerpiece fish, so don't add any other semi-aggressive or worse fish with him. Just peaceful community fish like corys etc.

steez said:
Males can be in a community tank, just try it out. Some betta's are more aggressive than others. For instance, my betta killed two ghost shrimp he lives with, but doesn't hurt the ADF's. Others bettas don't kill the ghost shrimp they live with. I think it's just the attitude of the betta himself.

The one thing i've been told is that they like to be the centerpiece fish, so don't add any other semi-aggressive or worse fish with him. Just peaceful community fish like corys etc.

Okay thanks and are males more colorful than females

I think males look better, they have the bigger prettier fins.

Google them and see the diff.

Back
Top Bottom