Betta Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barefootKATE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a plastic one gal tank with a lighted hood. I wanted to put a betta in it. Is it a bad idea ot have a light on for a betta? Does it get to warm, or do they prefer the dark?

This can work (I have one like this), but the main problem (aside from it being a bit small) is that the temperature will vary fairly from after the light has been on all day to after it has been off all night...a swing of probably a good 6º-7ºF or so. It is possible to buy a heater small enough to go in the tank, but it will take up a lot of what little room is in the tank already. You would do better with a similar 2½-5 gallon tank, or just a 3-5 gallon glass aquarium.

Ditto what Tortis said.. unless you are using a Kritter keeper and light those are very low lights and increase frrom my experience a degree or two

The one I have is one of these (but black)...temp rises about 5º-6ºF during the day.

Attachments

• 4258378290b.jpeg
    4258378290b.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 197
Kate, I have a 2 gallon hex kit, with a 4 watt lightbulb (can be found in any drug store). The temp only varies 2 - 3º C from day (light on) to night (light off). Plus, I personally don't think that 1 gallon gives a betta adequate swimming room over the long term. They are so much happier in larger tanks. And, larger tank = easier maintenance.

Bettas certainly don't prefer the dark. Like most animals, they like a regular schedule of light and dark. If you want to find out for yourself what sort of temperature variation you'll have in your 1 gallon tank, get an aquarium thermometer, fill your tank with water (no betta), stick in the thermometer and watch for a few days how it goes. Then you can decide for yourself.

I second the reccomendation for a larger tank. Even with something like 5 gallons, you open yourself up to alot more options and a more stable tank. Plus, you could have the betta, and possibly some other things, like ghost shrimp (if they don't get eaten) or African Dwarf Frogs.

HTH

Bettas have no problem surviving in next to no water as they breath air directly from the atmosphere. They used to be transported in bags with just enough water to keep them wet....So....Is this cruel? Put yourself in the fishes fins! :? What would you rather? Yeah, you can live in the toilet if you had to, but how much better would it be in the living room? If you are keeping your betta in a 1G box, there is nothing you can do except stabilize the room temp.

What is the problem with a one gal tank? It seems bigger than what most are kept in. I realize the fish would love a lake, but that is part of captivity.

A lot of people will argue that a 1 gallon tank is perfectly fine for a betta. Personally, I am not one of them. I'm not here to start an argument, and I know that if you want to keep your betta in 1 gallon, you will do so regardless of what I say, so I'm not going to try and dissuade you. However, since you asked, here's my response (as a person with a few years of betta experience).

A) Imagine living in a closet. It would suck, big time. Sure, you could survive, but wouldn't you rather do more than merely survive? As you released waste, it would quickly build up, and if the person responsible for cleaning your closet was even one day late, the waste (urine, feces, CO2, etc) could build up to lethal levels. Even if it didn't kill you, it would be really unpleasant. IMHO, a tank that's less than 2 gallons is like that closet. Ammonia and other toxins can build up to lethal levels quickly, putting your betta at risk. Of course you think that you will always be on top of your water changes, but sometimes things happen that prevent you from doing the needed 100% water change every 2 - 3 days. Do you have time for that? Will have be able to devote time to change 100% of the water in your fish's tank every 2 - 3 days for the next 2 - 3 years? Even if your fish only lives 2 years, and you only do 100% water changes every 3 days, that's still almost 250 water changes.

B) Bettas love to swim around! IMHO, 1 gallon simply doesn't provide enough swimming space. I keep one of my boys in a 2 gallon, the smallest that I would keep a betta in, and I feel bad. He swims up and down the sides with his nose pressed up against the walls. If I could, I would not hesitate to put him in at least 5 gallons. And this is a tiny little betta! My normal-sized betta looked so cramped in there that I bought him an almost 5 gallon tank and he clearly loves it. Keep in mind that a betta grows to between 2 and 3 inches long. They're not little fish, and they do so love to have their space. If anyone tells you that bettas prefer small spaces (and I know this is a common myth), remind them that rice paddies are the size of football fields.

C) Bettas are very hardy fish, but temperature fluctuations can really weaken their immune systems, making them vulnerable to a whole host of diseases. A 1 gallon tank is much harder to keep stable than even a 2 gallon. Don't believe me? After my 2 gallon has had a 4 watt light on for 12 hours, the temp is 24º C. In the morning, after the light has been off all night, the temp is 22º C. That's a 2º C change. Toirtis has said that in his experience with a 1 gallon, there's a 6 - 7ºC change. For a fish, that's a huge difference!

D) I'm not disagreeing that bettas can live in a 1 gallon tank. They can live in almost anything. I've heard stories of bettas living for years in coffee pots, tiny vases, you name it. This doesn't mean that they should. It's true that it's impossible to exactly reproduce a captive animal's exact environment, but IMHO that's no excuse not to give them the best possible home. I looked on petco.com. That 1 gallon kit that Toirtis showed is $15.99. The 2 gallon version is $17.99. It's only $2.00 more!!!

Kate, I realize that I may come across rather strongly. I'm not here to offend anyone, I'm here to educate people on my point of view for the benefit of the fish involved. Do what you think is best for your fish. :)

No, I really appreciate it, and I wouldn't have asked if I was just going to do what I want anyway. A fish is a life you are responsible for, not a play thing. In the pet stores I see nothing in reference to betta's liking/needing larger tanks. In actuality most I've seen are less than a gallon. Obviously that seems to be more for show and trend than for the actual well being of the fish. I'd appreciate any other Betta info you could give me.

I have 3 bettas, 2 males are in 3/4 gallon containers...and my female is in a 1 gallon w/ undergravel filter....i am extremely consitant on water changes and making them comfortable and happy, both my males always have big bubble nests and come up to me when i go near them and are happy, and the famale loves eating her baby crickets....but everyone is different, if i had the space and money...each would be in a good 5 gallon tank with some bottomfeeders or shrimp and have lots of room to swim(well i'm planning on moving some time this winter so they will have room by then)...its all on how you feel and how you want them to live....cuz we are all cool...lol :D

The point here wasn't the size of the tank, she said she had a one gallon tank, probably has had it for some time and decided to put a fish in it. Just because someone has a small one gallon tank, it doesn't mean they have the funding to go and buy a 55 gallon aquarium although a betta would love all that room im sure.(size exageration i know :) )
betta's seem to do well in small habitats, and as long as she keeps the water clean and stable, there shouldn't be a problem. What she wanted to know was how to make the small environment she has, as suitable as possible for a beta.

A one gallon tank may not be the best for a betta fish, but i can't afford to buy a house right now and live in a small apartement. Sort of the same thing with her betta, she may be able to move him up to a bigger house some day, but right now he will have to live in his apartment.

JMO 8)

As I said, and later backed up by firestar, they can live in this size and be healthy (if the owner is careful). As long as they are wet! Bettas are found in rice patty fields etc in the wild which at times can drop to such low levels that the fish can only flop around in a patch of wet mud. They will live untill some new water comes in to fill it up but it is stressful for them (obviously). Following this logic, 1 gallon is, in comparison, luxury for them......in nature! Thats the catch! We cant reproduce what nature does, we can only make a loose imitation so you will have a much more satifying experience with a 2+ gallon tank where you can keep a stable water chemistry due to waste etc.

your fish can survive in a 1gal quite easily, if you maintain it. I've got friends who keep them in 1/2 gal tanks (something I'm not fond of but). She takes very good care of them, and their happy. But be prepared to do alot of work, I would suggest doing a pwc 2-3 times a week if not more, be careful however cause sometimes if your not careful when doing water changes bad things can happen and it might not be your fault, the water supplied to your house might change, they may add diff. cleaners and such to your water to clean pipes and such which might hurt your fishies. With the light I've found my betta doesn't like very strong lights and alot of people I know complain about how they hide when the lights are on or are very bright so if your fish seems uncomftorable with the light I would suggest covering it with something so most light gets in but isn't as strong. but thats mpo

My Kaden just out grew his one gallon , he is now 2.3 inches:) so he has a 2 gallon pail at the moment while I fix his new three gallon up( just got the filter today.. one gallon is fine for a while

yeah... kinda late but...

bettas also make bubble nests in those lil cups.. something to think about...

my bettas, they swim around my 5 and 10 gallons alot. i guess 1 gallon is fine, but dont be suprised if you need to uprgade.

Wow, Megladon, was that 2.30000 inches, or just 2.300 inches? ;) (Just teasing you. The closest I can get is that Lancelot is approx. 2 inches, almost. And Titan, well, he's terrified of the ruler up against his tank, so all I can do is eye-ball estimate him at 1 1/2 inches, maybe.) I'm sure Kaden will looooove having the extra room to swim around! Will you be retiring the 1 gallon?

I will sorta retire it .. I will use it as a qt since the other one was a half gallon.. My Trafalger is 3.75 inches and Melody is 2.25... I measure them in qt when changing h20 :wink:

Now I feel bad for having my beta in a one gallon. I thought he was happy in there. When I put up my 55 gallon tank we put him in there the night before we got fish for it and he swam around a bit but mostly he hung out in one upper corner. I thought he was freaked out by all the space.

Naw, Krazymom, he wasn't freaked out by the space. It's a common myth that bettas need/prefer small spaces. Fish just need some time adjusting to new environments, that's all. Rice paddies, where bettas originate, are about the size of shallow football fields! If you are able to do so, I always recommend for people to get their bettas bigger tanks. 2+ gallons will be easier for you to look after, and will give him twice as much territory to patrol. :)

Back
Top Bottom