Betta in 1 gallón tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sisters betta is in a 1 gallón bowl with some gravel and a artificial plant. Its very depresd, she changes 30% o the water every 4 days. What can she do for it to be healthy?

Bigger tank at least 2 gal heater filter and partial ester changes weekly with declorinater

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll be the odd one out. I have a betta in a 1 gallon bowl. He is very happy and healthy, in much better shape than he was in before. I have a 2.5 gallon jug that has 1/2 dechlorinated tap and 1/2 ro water, since Bettas like soft/acidic water in nature. The 1 gal bowl has gravel with some shiny stones for aesthetics. My secret? I scoop him out with the cup that I bought him in and put it aside, then I dump all his old water out from the bowl, wash and rinse the crap out of it multiple times, then refill it with my water mix. And just to be safe, I dechlorinate the water again with a special betta kind ($4 at petco). I then dump the water in the cup into the sink, along with the betta and catch him with a net and put him in his fresh and clean water. When I first got him, he had ammonia burns, I used this method and added a little seachem stress guard every week for about 3 weeks and he just sprung right back. I have had him for many months with zero issues. Just remember to feed him a tiny amount, once daily, I treat him with a little brine shrimp occasionally, and it's ok to skip a day on feeding. Keep in mind, it's nearly impossible if not completely impossible to have a fully cycled 1 gallon betta bowl without a filter (which I don't). Which is why I do 100% water changes every week. Doing it this way, doesn't give the ammonia a chance to hurt your betta, so it works. I know people that do it every other week and it works for them, but I recommend a 100% weekly and you'll be fine.

Also forgot to say that I do not use a heater. He is not near a vent so the room temp is usually between 70-80, throughout the year and he's been doing just fine.

I agree with Maridia: I think a betta can be happy in 1 gal. of water....but it takes a LOT of extra work on the part of the owner. You have to take care of two important things in a environment that small, but if you do, 1 gal. is just enough, in my opinion.

Water changes should be AT LEAST once a week, but if you do partial changes, I'd do it several times a week. bettas don't seem to get very stressed out by water changes...thy're a hardy, mellow fish when it comes to that- but I always add some stress coat after changing water to make sure he's happy. Don't be afraid to take a sample of water to your LFS to get it tested (most do it for free), and see if your water change regimen is keeping everything at a good level.

I'd buy an adhesive thermometer at the store and monitor his water for a while. You want it to be at least 75F. I advise people to go ahead and get a heater...we sell one that's made for 1 gal. tanks. Maintaining a consistent, proper temperature is very important for all fish's health.

Back
Top Bottom