betta in 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a better....parents got it at a wedding....any way i have it in a .5 gal and i was wondering if it was ok to put him in my 10 gal community tank? i have 4 zebra danios and 3 green cory cats. if i can put it in there could i also put 4 neon tetras and not have the tank over stocked?

With the addition of the 4 neon tetras it would be overstocked. However, the betta would more than likely prefer 10 gallons to half a gallon. If your zebra danios have short fins and not long then it should work.

well i have 1 long fin....could i still put it in there and jsut see what happens?

i think it'll be okay (maybe) because the danio's are 2 fast for the betta. if it doesnt work out you can just return the betta or get another tank (y)

yeh, just like krap101 said. Just make sure you keep a close eye on the tank, and check it after lights are out because sometimes fish decide to be stealthy at night... very sneaky sneaky :roll:

I would put the betta in the 10 gallon tank. I have not had bettas in a community tank, but I think danios, cories, and the betta should do fine together. Don't add the tetras -- as the others have said, the tank would be overstocked, and I have seen tetras nip bettas. If the betta doesn't do well with the others, then you can put together a 5 gallon tank cheaply for the betta.

well there is no need to worry now because over night my betta died :( im not certain why but it might be because he didnt have any oxygen....no bubles
he got a littel white last night then when i woke up he was sitting at the top with his mouth out fo teh water :( if i was going to put anotehr one in there should i get air stones or somthing? its only a half gallon tank

Oh dear. I don't think lack of surface agitation was the cause. This betta was given away at a wedding, probably has not been treated well and has been stressed the whole time. I'm sorry you lost your new fish, but you took the best care of it as you could.

yeah your right and well it looks like i can get the blue betta i always wanted now :D thanks to everyone

Back
Top Bottom