Betta in 20g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Everyone,

One of my friends is heading off to a college where pets are not allowed(not even fish). What a bummer...I know. She has a betta and I agreed to babysit it while she is away. So...it is now sitting inside my 20g tank with 5 juvy ABN plecos, 2 GBR's, 2 oto's, 2 zebra loaches, 3 von rio tetras, and 3 rummynose tetras. It honestly seems to be doing okay I'd say and it looks much better than sitting in the pathetic vase that it was in. How well do you think it'll do if I leave it in the 20g? On the other hand, I am setting up a 10g soon to raise all my ABN plecos(10 juvies). Would the betta do better in this tank? This tank will only have a sponge filter so there will be lower flow. The ABN Pleco's are about an inch long right now. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

The betta should do fine, just keep a close eye on any aggression to the other fish. Bettas prefer low flow to their water. The betta will definately prefer the 20 gal over a vase. The main problem I see other than possible aggression, is the betta will not be happy going back to a vase when you return him. Might want to convince your friend to get a 10 gal for him in the future.

Zagz said:
The betta should do fine, just keep a close eye on any aggression to the other fish. Bettas prefer low flow to their water. The betta will definately prefer the 20 gal over a vase. The main problem I see other than possible aggression, is the betta will not be happy going back to a vase when you return him. Might want to convince your friend to get a 10 gal for him in the future.

I was actually thinking of getting a cheap 10g and a sponge filter and giving my friend the seutp. I have lots of extra fake plants and some leftover PFS from the 10g I'm working on for the ABN plecos to grow in.

black hills tj said:
I was actually thinking of getting a cheap 10g and a sponge filter and giving my friend the seutp. I have lots of extra fake plants and some leftover PFS from the 10g I'm working on for the ABN plecos to grow in.

I wish I had more friends like you! :lol:

I agree that the betta will do well in either tank. Believe it or not, I would be more concerned about the tetras annoying the betta that with the betta being aggressive toward anybody.

If you set up the 10 gal BN tank, it would be even more ideal - low flow, betta has middle and top of water column all to himself. He'd be in heaven!!!

Be careful with those Rams. If you have a pair, they get very aggressive when they're laying eggs. Although, it's not just the beta I'd be worried about at that point.

neilanh said:
Be careful with those Rams. If you have a pair, they get very aggressive when they're laying eggs. Although, it's not just the beta I'd be worried about at that point.

Honestly the ph in the tank is less than ideal for the GBR's to spawn. High 7's even with a large chunk of driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom