Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2003, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

betta in a 2 gallon?

I have a novelty 2 gallon tank (water surface is less than ideal for the volume), and I'm wondering if it would be large enough to house a betta.

It was part of a kit that had an undergravel filter, and bubble wall...which was a real mess, imo...any thoughts on how a betta would do with this? Or suggestions on a better set-up?

I'm not really looking to set it up right now...just kind of investigating for future reference

thanks guys!

Old 07-30-2003, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Sponge Bob Send a message via MSN to Sponge Bob
It'll do just fine. I have kept my Betta in a 2 gallon tank for a while and its doing fine.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problems there. That is a great size for a Betta. The minimum size IMO. You could probably also add some java fern or a nice silk plant and maybe a snail for company and cleaning!!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
my betta is doing awesome in a 2 gal hex, and he's getting pretty big too. His fins are awesome and he seems happy.

-j
Old 07-30-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

awesome

I'm thinking of making it my first venture into a planted tank.

just waiting for my new-ish 10 gallon to get settled...(and trying to figure out the appropriate wating period before launching a new tank, so as not to get too many comments on my slight obsession!)
Old 07-30-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

sweetsuvvyb: I know what you mean. I started a 10 gal back in June, just added a 2 gal hex with Felix the Betta in my office at work and I'm trying to convince my wife that we need a bigger tank at home. I am obsessed!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to HOLLIEO Send a message via Yahoo to HOLLIEO
Hey, Sesos ... I hear ya'!!! I started a 1.5 gallon in may, a 20 gallon in June, a 50 gallon a few weeks ago, and now I two have a hex tank on my office desk. I am totally suffering from MTS !!! ha, ha
I was going to stick a Betta or two in the Hex at my desk at work, but then someone suggested a few White Cloud Minnows. I guess I will just have to get another tank for the Betta... ha, ha
But, I understand about trying to convince the spouse to go 'BIG'
He isn't really into my tanks... He like to go to the lakes/ocean and catch the Fish, not really thrilled to have them all over our house.
By the way.. I am from the Ventura area too.. well, actually ventura county.
Good luck with the new office betta!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

*looks at HOLLIEO and laughs*

You KNOW how bad I have it. Went from 1 8-10g hex tank last year, to a 55g, a 25g, two 10g and that good ol hex tank. We really need a 12 step group round here LOL Cause I'm thinkin, after reading these and some other posts, a Betta would be nice to have on my desk at work...

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

GET THE BETTA ALLIVYMAR!

Just think, one less betta in one of thos dixie cups at the store, he'd be SO happy to live on your desk at work. My 2 gal hex kit + Felix was $25, a bargain!
Old 07-30-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just might...but not till Sept when I go back (I'm an OT in a public school). Theres an empty 1 or 2g "goldfish bowl" that I let won't anyone use for goldfish, just sitting in the room.

I'd have to drag the lil guy back n forth during vacations/summer tho...think its a good idea? Don't wanna stress the lil dude too much.

Just some thoughts on sweets' original post. What sort of filtration is good? I know some peeps just do water changes, but since I wouldn't be around on weekends I'd feel better knowing there was a filter in there. Do bettas like bubbles? I keep reading conflicting opinions on that one.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 gallon, betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com