Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Oto's barely have a bio-load and one Betta isn't going to push bio-load over what it can handle. You'll be fine.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

My money would be on the betta being dead within a week due to stress/tetras

Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
My money would be on the betta being dead within a week due to stress/tetras
I have 4 Betta males with Diamond, Cardinal, and Rummynose tetras, Cherry Barbs, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Purple Harliquens, 12 adult Angels, and many others. I have found if the tank isn't overstocked and if there is adequate plant and DW coverage there usually is no problems.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Firstly, don't worry about him being sad because he's lonely - seriously, Betta don't care about company and are usually far happier on their own. Other than schooling fish and when they want to breed, most fish aren't fussed about company and many resent it. Betta particularly appreciate being alone and can be stressed by a move to a community tank.

Moving him out of an unheated tank is a better reason, but it could be kinder to just get him a slightly larger tank with a nano heater.

With the community, you have a couple of things to watch out for
1) His temperament. Betta have a reputation for meanness which is mostly unfounded (caused by people putting them in tanks with other Betta, which they resent) but they can still be vicious if they take a dislike to another fish. Most Betta are fine in a community, but you should be careful in case yours is one who doesn't

2) The other fish. Especially if you have known fin-nippers... Betta fins are pretty, but also make them vulnerable: keep an eye on things to be sure that the Betta isn't the victim of aggression. Unlikely with your fish, but possible.

That said, chances are things will be fine: a lot of people keep Betta in communities without issue. Keep the old tank and be prepared to swap him straight back if there are problems. Don't add any more Betta.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Decided to move the betta over last night. He seems to be hiding behind the aqueon filter. I think he is just adjusting. I have plenty of time to watch him this week, so I will keep an eye on the guy. How do you feed bettas in community tanks? Maybe a little off to the side? He is not really eating.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2oo View Post
Decided to move the betta over last night. He seems to be hiding behind the aqueon filter. I think he is just adjusting. I have plenty of time to watch him this week, so I will keep an eye on the guy. How do you feed bettas in community tanks? Maybe a little off to the side? He is not really eating.
Like any new fish he's probably as you said just adjusting to having a much bigger tank and actual tank mates. He may not eat for a couple days which won't hurt him at all but I've found that feeding a good treat like frozen brine shrimp will usually get everyone to eat. You can also feed the general population like you always do and then put his food over in the area he's hanging out at. You should have seen the 4 Betta males when they first got put in the 100% planted 220g tank. They looked totally lost but within a few days really found they had an ocean to swim and explore in.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I keep my male vealtail betta with 3 other albino corys and he seems fine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com