Betta in a 25 gallon community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ma2oo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey fellow fishkeepers! I have a male betta that is neglected in a small 2.5 gallon unheated tank. I want to move him to the larger 25 gallon community which I have because I think he would enjoy it more. He has always lived alone, and looks sad. The current inhabitants in the 25 are: 10 penguin tetras, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, 2 albino cories, 2 (fat) sterbai cories, and an otocinculus. It is a planted tank with jungle val, amazon sword, java fern, java moss, and cyperus helferi. Still new to plants, so they are sorta dying. I have a aquaclear 20 filter plus an aqueon quietflow 30 filter. I also am trying out a marineland maxijet 600. Any ideas how I should move him over? I want him to happy and the least stressed as possible. Will he get along? Thanks for all your help!

Hey fellow fishkeepers! I have a male betta that is neglected in a small 2.5 gallon unheated tank. I want to move him to the larger 25 gallon community which I have because I think he would enjoy it more. He has always lived alone, and looks sad. The current inhabitants in the 25 are: 10 penguin tetras, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, 2 albino cories, 2 (fat) sterbai cories, and an otocinculus. It is a planted tank with jungle val, amazon sword, java fern, java moss, and cyperus helferi. Still new to plants, so they are sorta dying. I have a aquaclear 20 filter plus an aqueon quietflow 30 filter. I also am trying out a marineland maxijet 600. Any ideas how I should move him over? I want him to happy and the least stressed as possible. Will he get along? Thanks for all your help!

★Your betta may get along with your community fish. My male veiltail got along with all my fish in my 20g. It just depends on your fish. You should acclimate him slowly. Place him in a small container along with some of the water, take some of the 25g water (1/4 C) and put it in the container w/betta, ever 15min once you do this a couple hours you can scoop him up and place him in 25g. Watch his attitude, if he gets aggressive, you may have to keep him in his bowl. Or rehome him=( I hope he is a friendly one tho! & about your plants, is your java fern in the substrate? You should tie them to a rock, or piece of drift wood, they will die if submerged=( Java moss need low light, and amazon swords feed heavily through their roots, you need root tabs! What kind of substrate do you have? What kind of fertilizers are you using?

★Your betta may get along with your community fish. My male veiltail got along with all my fish in my 20g. It just depends on your fish. You should acclimate him slowly. Place him in a small container along with some of the water, take some of the 25g water (1/4 C) and put it in the container w/betta, ever 15min once you do this a couple hours you can scoop him up and place him in 25g. Watch his attitude, if he gets aggressive, you may have to keep him in his bowl. Or rehome him=( I hope he is a friendly one tho! & about your plants, is your java fern in the substrate? You should tie them to a rock, or piece of drift wood, they will die if submerged=( Java moss need low light, and amazon swords feed heavily through their roots, you need root tabs! What kind of substrate do you have? What kind of fertilizers are you using?

Okay sounds good on the betta. I'll give it a try. As for the plants, I have like a 1/4 inch of api plant substrate, then like an 1 1/2 of super naturals sand. I use tabs for sword and does flourish 2x a week. Lights are 2 t5 no bulbs. I'm gonna get build my leds in december because rivercats recommended them. I also, have flourish excel, but don't use them because it will melt the vals supposedly.

As Krissy stated, it all depends on his personality. Be sure you have plenty of time to watch him if you decide to move him.

My other concern with your tank is the fact that you have 3 types of schooling fish that aren't being kept in schools. You really should choose one type of cory, return the other and up the number of one type. The otos also need to be kept in schools.

He will do just fine. Go ahead and give it a try.

As Krissy stated, it all depends on his personality. Be sure you have plenty of time to watch him if you decide to move him.

My other concern with your tank is the fact that you have 3 types of schooling fish that aren't being kept in schools. You really should choose one type of cory, return the other and up the number of one type. The otos also need to be kept in schools.

I would be more concerned with the betta getting chewed up by the tetras. It'll probably be fine from them but there shouldn't be any aggression from the Betts.

Betta's will often do fine in a community tank but on occasion you'll run across one with a nasty temperament. I have one like this who has his own 6g planted tank. I have another Betta in a 12g community tank and then 4 male Betta's in my 100% planted 220g tank. All you need to do is monitor for any aggression.

I've got a ton of various species of fish with the Betta's and have never had problems with any of them nipping the Betta's fins.

Oto's really do like to be in small groups so getting a couple more would be good.

While cory cats prefer to shoal with their own species they will in fact do fine and shoal with other species of cory cats.

Isn't my tank a bit overstocked as it is?

Move it. It will do just fine

Buy another oto or two. They like to be with their buddies !

Also....i should mention that my betta is very old (about a year and a half). Are you sure my tank isn't too overstocked for a betta and two more otos? I listed my stock above.

Oto's barely have a bio-load and one Betta isn't going to push bio-load over what it can handle. You'll be fine.

My money would be on the betta being dead within a week due to stress/tetras

My money would be on the betta being dead within a week due to stress/tetras

I have 4 Betta males with Diamond, Cardinal, and Rummynose tetras, Cherry Barbs, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Purple Harliquens, 12 adult Angels, and many others. I have found if the tank isn't overstocked and if there is adequate plant and DW coverage there usually is no problems.

Firstly, don't worry about him being sad because he's lonely - seriously, Betta don't care about company and are usually far happier on their own. Other than schooling fish and when they want to breed, most fish aren't fussed about company and many resent it. Betta particularly appreciate being alone and can be stressed by a move to a community tank.

Moving him out of an unheated tank is a better reason, but it could be kinder to just get him a slightly larger tank with a nano heater.

With the community, you have a couple of things to watch out for
1) His temperament. Betta have a reputation for meanness which is mostly unfounded (caused by people putting them in tanks with other Betta, which they resent) but they can still be vicious if they take a dislike to another fish. Most Betta are fine in a community, but you should be careful in case yours is one who doesn't

2) The other fish. Especially if you have known fin-nippers... Betta fins are pretty, but also make them vulnerable: keep an eye on things to be sure that the Betta isn't the victim of aggression. Unlikely with your fish, but possible.

That said, chances are things will be fine: a lot of people keep Betta in communities without issue. Keep the old tank and be prepared to swap him straight back if there are problems. Don't add any more Betta.

Decided to move the betta over last night. He seems to be hiding behind the aqueon filter. I think he is just adjusting. I have plenty of time to watch him this week, so I will keep an eye on the guy. How do you feed bettas in community tanks? Maybe a little off to the side? He is not really eating.

Decided to move the betta over last night. He seems to be hiding behind the aqueon filter. I think he is just adjusting. I have plenty of time to watch him this week, so I will keep an eye on the guy. How do you feed bettas in community tanks? Maybe a little off to the side? He is not really eating.

Like any new fish he's probably as you said just adjusting to having a much bigger tank and actual tank mates. He may not eat for a couple days which won't hurt him at all but I've found that feeding a good treat like frozen brine shrimp will usually get everyone to eat. You can also feed the general population like you always do and then put his food over in the area he's hanging out at. You should have seen the 4 Betta males when they first got put in the 100% planted 220g tank. They looked totally lost but within a few days really found they had an ocean to swim and explore in.

Back
Top Bottom