Betta in a Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if a Betta Splendens is compatable with a community?

20H, moderate to heavily planted, DIY CO2, 5 Neon Tetras, 2 SAE (Slim and Porky), 1 YoYo Loach, 1 German Gold Ram.

SWMBO would like to have something with more color and bigger that she can see from across the room.

From what I have been able to understand from the web, a Betta is compatiable with most fish, as long as they are not nippers.

Thoughts and comments?

Betta's can be community fish with the exception of tetras, or fish with long or flowy fins. Every fish is different, keep an eye on the betta and the other fish when introduced to make sure there is no aggression between the fish at all.

My bettas never had issues with tetras...just gouramis and that was only my males and they only flared at them 8O but yeah they're really good in an aquarium setting just as long as you don't have fish with the flowy fins like Zagz said. If you want to keep more than one betta in a tank though you should only get females but they have their "THIS IS MY SPOT/FOOD" or "GET OUT OF MY FACE!" fights occasionally too x.x

I must have had a nasty tempermented betta LOL, he didn't like the neon tetra's at all. Must have been the blue on them.

all the betta's I've had in community tanks were very docile. He never bothered the other fish despite the occasional flaring. I eventually had to remove the betta because he was attacked, I think the clown loach did it

Back
Top Bottom