Betta In Community Tank-- test run!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's morning and everyone is still in one piece seemingly swimming peacefully... No nipped fins overnight...
This just may work... I'm so very excited for her. :) From a cup at Petsmart in July to a 29g tank. WHOO HOO! Stretch those fins!

cheeky_monkey said:
She has some very nice colouring. I hope she gets on well with her new mates :)

Thank you! When I talk to her and she tilts her head as if she's listening I tell her she's my pretty girl :)
She was so light/pale when I got her I thought she was an iridescent betta.... Her fins and head slowly got peach to reddish to... Is she PURPLE?? I see with this lighting she has some blue in her tail fin...
Do they change color with age or was it probably a sign she was sad and stressed at the store?

Question also: I read females are supposed to get larger than males... Females get 3" and males 2"?? Is this body size without fins and is this true? Is my girl still a juvie or does she appear full grown? She's about 1 3/4" She was TINY when I got her... I'd never seen bettas that small.
My males I've had in the past were always a good 3" with fins...

did you say you had an angel in there too? i might be wrong, but just be very careful and watch them both all the time. I thought I read it somewhere that bettas and angels are a no no combo coz one of them will be a nipper. I might be wrong though. SInce you said, so far so good, that is a good sign so far.

Mumma.of.two said:
Glad to hear she's doing well! She will enjoy the extra space. :)

Thanks Mumma :) she's my first female and my 5th Betta...
Others were in the tiny goldfish bowl :-( cause I didn't know any better yet with the exception of one who wound up in a 2.5g tank...
I so love her

When they are in a cup, they always appear paler, coz of stress and confinement, I would say. And you can always immediately see the difference of their color once you set them free in a bigger tank. They very much appreciated the space. She does look purple to me and some hint of pink. Very pretty girl indeed! :) I am not sure about females since I haven't had one before. I always get the males for their vibrant color so I don't have any idea if the females get that big.

daileene said:
When they are in a cup, they always appear paler, coz of stress and confinement, I would say. And you can always immediately see the difference of their color once you set them free in a bigger tank. They very much appreciated the space. She does look purple to me and some hint of pink. Very pretty girl indeed! :) I am not sure about females since I haven't had one before. I always get the males for their vibrant color so I don't have any idea if the females get that big.

I went to the store asking for females and he went in the back and brought me about. 6 to choose from. She was so active and curious about me she won me over... It was very close because I found a gorgeous tri tone blue and blue is my favorite color. I picked up the other betta and she looked up at me tilting her little head... "Okkkkayyy okay! You're coming with me!" and we left. LOL :)

oppsss now that i have re-read your original post, you meant your 4 month old molly named Angel, right? silly me :-D

that is so sweet. :) she probably thought, this one is going to be my mommy. :) and she is very fortunate to have you. i bet she can't thank you enough for bringing her home.

daileene said:
that is so sweet. :) she probably thought, this one is going to be my mommy. :) and she is very fortunate to have you. i bet she can't thank you enough for bringing her home.

She always faced the direction I was in watching me do dishes, things in the living room, always came to front of glass when i walked by watching me.. She's followed my fingers from Day 1 and has quite the personality... She was very tiny when I got her 5 mths ago... She's probably about 8 mths old...
She wont be able to watch me anymore but i spend enough time watching that tank she'll be fine.. Hha ...Happy happy girl in such a big tank now..

daileene said:
did you say you had an angel in there too? i might be wrong, but just be very careful and watch them both all the time. I thought I read it somewhere that bettas and angels are a no no combo coz one of them will be a nipper. I might be wrong though. SInce you said, so far so good, that is a good sign so far.

Hahaha..my baby (named) Angel.. Hahah :-D
This tank is my biggest tank and has all mollies in it.
Now Miss Lucy :)

yes, i mistook that as you had an angel. duh me. LOL. but she is really pretty. am glad she got along with your mollies. she definitely is a happy camper now.

daileene said:
yes, i mistook that as you had an angel. duh me. LOL. but she is really pretty. am glad she got along with your mollies. she definitely is a happy camper now.

My alpha of the tank is my biggest female Dalmatian Molly, Cruella... ( no i don't have a puppy in the tank! LOL LOL) ;-)
She bumps Lucy occasionally to remind her who REALLY is the boss. Surprisingly enough, Lucy has conceded and moves away. Sounds like the tank order is being firmly established with the betta. It's a good thing because Lucy is quite the active girl. I throughly explained to her how important it is to BEHAVE! LOL

I have 3 female bettas in my 45 gallon community aquarium. All of my fish get along so well (including my old angel fish). I was surprised at how the female bettas hand out together. They are FUN to watch and add beautiful colors to my aquarium!

Sherb said:
I have 3 female bettas in my 45 gallon community aquarium. All of my fish get along so well (including my old angel fish). I was surprised at how the female bettas hand out together. They are FUN to watch and add beautiful colors to my aquarium!

I was watching closely because a few times when I put a container full of Molly fry or Juvie's next where she was she stalked them thru the glass and looked like she wanted to pounce. Maybe she was just curious..

LOL that is so cute when you said you really talked to her that she should BEHAVE. hehe. sometimes though, it seems like they can understand what you are saying. :-D

Back
Top Bottom