Betta in my tank with other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if I could put my male betta in my 29 gallon with my other fish. I have 6 cory catfish, 3 diamond tetras, and 2 german blue rams, I am going to get a school of neon tetras also. Can anyone help?

It depends on the betta. Some are aggressive and will chase your fish, others will be shy and will get picked on by your fish. In a community tank I'd try to avoid the long-finned ones, I have had neons nip other fish before.

It depends on the betta. Some are aggressive and will chase your fish, others will be shy and will get picked on by your fish. In a community tank I'd try to avoid the long-finned ones, I have had neons nip other fish before.

agreed. depends on the specific fish..if you do put him in there make sure you watch carefully

I had one of my male bettas in a 10 gal with some loaches and they got along great! I decided to move the loaches to a bigger tank and for a week afterwards my Betta seemed depressed kept staying on the bottom of the tank and sleeping a lot........ I put him in my community 40 gal with loaches, Cory cats, swordtails and rasboras and he was back to his old self again! But I've never once seen him flare, when I picked him out at the lfs I made sure to pick one who didn't flare so I guess it just depends on the Betta. Luckily none of my fish in the community tank nip his fins :)

I had a male betta in a tank with 2 mollies and 2 sword tails. they all seemed happy for the 2 months they lived together. i brought 2 new mollies in the tank a few days ago. I woke up to 4 dead fish and the betta attacking the 5th. betta bob was not agressive at all but was young. I guess enough was enough. i now have the betta in a smaller bowl and only 1 molly left. he isnt looking so good either. so be careful with bettas. they call them fighting fish for a reason

I agree with bruins. IME, many bettas are good community dwellers, but some are not. If you try it, just keep an eye on him in there. :)

If I buy say a 10 gallon tank with a filter and new substrate obviously the tank is not cycled. Since betas breath at the top will the cycle process hurt him? Or should I do a fishless cycle first then out him in their.

If I buy say a 10 gallon tank with a filter and new substrate obviously the tank is not cycled. Since betas breath at the top will the cycle process hurt him? Or should I do a fishless cycle first then out him in their.
Thats totally up to you if you want to do a fish-in or fishless cycle. Bettas breathe at the surface, but they get most of their gas exchange from the water. If its in the water, it will be in the betta.
That said, fish-in cycles should be done with lots of diligent pwc so that ammo never builds up enough to hurt the fish. The fish-in cycle shouldn't hurt the fish at all if you do it right. However, that is all up to you and how much time you have to do pwc and what you are comfortable with. :)

I have him in a tank now I can do fishless cycle I will use old filter medium from my 29 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom